Best Mac for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gmontalbano, Dec 1, 2004.

1. gmontalbano macrumors newbie

Dec 1, 2004
    I have been using a PC for awhile and have decided to make the switch to a Mac for video editing. I have a external HD, so HD space wont be a issue. The budget is as small as possible. I already have the money for Final Cut Pro, so software isnt a issue either. Thanks for your help!
  2. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Have to say iMac 20"

Video Editing, like all graphic work is made a lot easier with a big screen.
  3. MisterGreen macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2004
    Dual G5 would be best .... I suppose you could swing the SP PowerMac ... Dual monitors are pretty crucuial in big time video editing... the imac would run it... but you're a bit limited
  4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2003
    Buckeye Country, O-H
    i would suggest the iMac G5, if you are on a really small buget ($1,800+with edu. discount). Or, you could the way which would later on give you more expansion possibilities, by getting the Dual 1.8 G5 (again $1,800+ with the edu. discount).

side note-- in the lab at my school, before the semester started, our school got 40 new iMac G4 20" models. And from what i have used them for they seem pretty fast, but i'm sure the newer ones are even better.

Personally though, i get a Dual G5 1.8
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Yeah a dual is great and two screen is also good, but the 1680x1050 20-inch display on the iMac is very good and gives you much real estate.
    A powermac with two screens is expensive and i think the iMac will do a great job. (I've edited hour log videos on both my G3/266 and G4/400 before, they were the champs back then..)

Get atleast 1.0GB ram and max out the HDs (to 250GB) or get an external HD.

If you plan to use Motion get a powermac and get the faster Videocard you can get (ati9800 or nVidia 6800), because the effects in Motion are depending on the videocard.
  6. mocman macrumors regular

May 8, 2004
    I went for the Dual 1.8 Power mac and have not looked back yet.
  7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    I would ask these things of you:

are you doing this video editiing for fun or business?

If for business I would start asking things about time to do __ tasks, etc. Because time is money in a business...if for personal I would say the iMac 20" would do great, unless you are sold on two monitors which of course is an extra expense on top of the power Mac.

So I would say...tell us more about the amount of video editing you do and you might get answers that fit your needs better. Adding loads of memory is another expense to remember...especially for video ed.
  8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

The iMac G5 will let you down if you want to get really serious about video editing. Having the ability to have multiple drives on a RAID array, adding lots of memory and having extra monitors is a must for serious video editing. If you are going to be editing Tommy's first birthday then the iMac is for you, but if you are going to edit the next Star Wars PM all the way.