Best Mac Game Out There

Discussion in 'Games' started by Boelman, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Boelman macrumors regular

Ok, so what has been the best ever mac game so far. Could it be the old Doom games, Hellcats (flight simulator game), Medal of Honor, Marathon!!!!! Let's hear it folks!!!!

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

World of Warcraft, hands down. I've played Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Unreal Tournament, Halo, etc. and WoW is by far the best game I've ever played on the Mac platform.

3. thumper macrumors 6502

thumper

4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

WOW is the only game that I'm literally scared of installing due to its reported extreme level of addictiveness.:eek:

5. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Terminal and a connection to a BBS playing DoorMUD!

[​IMG]
    That's good crack!

6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I play World of Warcraft so much I am actually wearing out my iBook. So I'm getting a new iMac Intel this week. Can't wait.

lasuther

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Can't wait... what for? A port of World of Warcraft to the new Intel iMac? Or have you given up gaming?

8. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Tell me what the difference is? Is apple chainging OS X to run on intel? Because if they are not, why does he have to wait for a port??

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

This "best mac game" thread has been posted soooo many times. And, as everyone already knows, the answer is StarCraft. :)

10. NoNameBrand macrumors 6502

Um, because Intel processors are not PowerPC processors, and if you want the game to go a bit quicker than it would using Rosetta, the developers have to at the very least recompile it, if not do a lot more work.

Luckily Blizzard has confirmed a WoW Universal Binary coming with 1.9.3.

My favourite game was Hellcats: Missions At Leyte Gulf followed by Marathon 2. Perhaps it's nostalgia for my childhood and teenaged years, but despite some good games lately, nothing is quite as awesome in my mind as those.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Well, it'll likely run under Rosetta (who knows?) but even if it doesn't, Blizzard have announced that the universal binary version of WoW will be out the end of the month.

So, the Intel iMac will be what...6-7 times faster than his iBook? Sounds like a good move to me.

12. Boelman thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know if you can still get Hellcats anywhere? I used to own it about 8 years ago and can't find it. I wonder if it even works with a G4? It was such an awesomw game. I used to love trying to land my plane in the water and just sitting there.

13. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=12676

Jeez, you guys don't know anything, do you? :D

As for me, Mutant Storm. Got a 360 controller (after finding about the super haxxored driver) and I can't stop playing the damn game (why spend 400 bucks to play it on a 360?) :cool:

Or Black Shades (so I like simple games), or Starcraft, or Reckless Driving, Halo kept me occupied for awhile...

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

These games all pale in comparison to Marathon.

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Yes. Yes it has.

And you're so right ... as evidenced by this thread, Starcraft was, and is, the best way to waste 4 our 5 hours of your life. Almost better than MR.

Freaking Zerg.

16. Wes Jordan macrumors regular

Do you think we will have to repurchase games or will an updated version be available free? At least at a reduced cost of maybe $10?

EEERR...Mainly worried about Aspyr...I just bought a Intel Powerbook along with Sims 2 and University, I dont want to have to buy it again.

17. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I'm enjoying Star Wars Battle Front right now, and Age of Mythology was ok...

I would love to start WoW but, I know that I would lose my job, my girl and my life.....

i wish there were more games for mac, but so does everyone...

18. After G macrumors 68000

After G

The weed game. (forgot its name)

Or the multitude of web-based flash games.

My favorite game is "how many apps can I open before a system bog-down?"

19. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

:) Chess?

Haha, i am looking for a game though that will keep me occupied, i was thinking maybe battefield 1942 or w.e. if they have it for macs, or just getting something like simcity, idk!

20. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

-Drugwars maybe?
    -The last game is fun on a mac, i tried playing it on a pc, and the game time is only like 2-3 minz, very disapointing! :p

21. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

HAPPPPYYYWWEEEED its like pacman with a weed theme.

22. cvalda macrumors member

The game is extremely addicting until you hit lvl 16 and that's kind of when you hit a wall and stop. It's tons of fun until you get around that level, and once you get there you realize how much of a chore the rest of the game really is (although it isn't NEARLY as bad as FFXI, let me tell you). The game is fun and definently the best MMORPG available, but damn if it isn't overrated.

23. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hah...level 16...

There is so much more to the game than getting to level 16. That's pretty much equivalent to saying a movie sucks because you just saw the first half of the first preview, and it was boring. Now, there is significant tedium involved in the game, but dismissing it so early on is a mistake.

24. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I think that estimate is a little on the high side, depending on what iBook you're running it on. But when you factor in the X1600 graphics card I'm sure it will probably run about 5 times faster than on an iBook, depending on settings and as long as you're running the Universal Binary version.

25. cvalda macrumors member

I'm not saying I got to lvl 16 and stopped. I'm saying that was when I first start to get bored with the game. I've made several characters of varying classes and races, and with each one I always get tired of the game by 16. I know there is tons more to do after that but I just don't feel it's really worth it. The only reason to get to higher levels to tackle higher level instances and to wear higher level equipment and to level up your skills. The game is still FUN and it has an extremely high amount of charm that keeps you interested and instances are tons of fun, but you can only do the same thing so many times before you get bored.