Best Mac games available?

Discussion in 'Games' started by gangst, Jul 12, 2006.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Well I've been using Mac's for about 3 years now and love them. I've never really played computer games and have always been a console fan, however, I thought I'd give Mac games a try, so I got Battlefield 1942, and I played it on my Quad G5, 4GB RAM, 6600GT on a 23" ACD, and it was awful, the graphics sucked, gameplay was dull and slow and it didn't even touch on Call of Duty 2 on Xbox 360 (maybe an unfair comparison!).

Can people on here please recommend some decent Mac games because if they are all like Battlefield 1942, I won't buy again!

I was thinking about gettin Unreal Tournament, because I played it on a friends PC briefly and liked it, does the Mac counterpart compare?

I've also heard a lot on these forums about World of Warcraft, but not really sure what it is about?

What are the must have Mac games?

Thanks for any help!

2. hyperpasta macrumors 6502a

hyperpasta

The current "must-have" game is Civilization IV. Some people find it a bit slow, but others find it highly addictive.

World of Warcraft is an MMO game, that is, it is played over the internet with thousands of other players. You and everyone else playing alongside you plays in the same game world, which is huge, detailed, and has its own history and lore. You can make friends with other players and team up with them.

Gameplay varies depending on what you're into:
    *Questing - Going on "Quests" handed out by computerized characters.
    *Player Versus Player - Fighting other human players.
    *Dungeons - Teaming up with a group of other human players and going through essentially a long hallway full of enemies with them to fight a boss enemy.
    *Leveling - As you do any one of the above things, you gain experience points that make your character stronger.

Some, including me, find it mind-numbingly dull, but 5 million+ people disagree, and anyone can see that it is an extreemly well-done game. If you like it, you will get hundreds upon hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of it. It's that big.

Currently, the first batch of players to join have now reached maximum level and are growing bored. An expansion pack is due later this year, which will raise the maximum level and increase the world size by 50% each (once you factor in that you level up slower as you get stronger).

EDIT: ack, I forgot the most imporant part. Not only does the game cost $50, but you must pay an additional $50 a month to play it, supposedly to support the medium-sized updates that are applied periodically.

3. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

50?!?!?!?

Lol. It's 15, not 50. Big difference dude. :D

4. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, not really dure if WoW is for me then.

I'l give Civilization a blast, is Doom 3 good?

5. benyaimin macrumors member

6. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

battlefield 1942 is like number 2 on the list of best games ever made, you probably didnt like it because you kept getting owned (rofl)

7. Kimi macrumors regular

Or because they're like me and find WWII shooters so damn boring it's getting stupid.:rolleyes:

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm the only person who thinks this here, but I found Doom 3 excellent. exactly what the game was supposed to be (old school, scary etc). Didn't add too many strange sequel-esque additions, Soulcube being the only one I can think of. They kept it simple in a world full of super advanced games like HL2 and co. it's a very basic shooter. it's just the original Doom, less enemies with super graphics. Don't expect any more than that.

9. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Personally, I like:

UT2K4 (best online FPS)
    WoW (best MMORPG)
    CoD & CoD United Offensive (Nice WW2 Shooter)
    CoD2 (if you computer can handle it)
    Star Wars KOTOR (really fun RPG)

I haven't been playing any of these lately because I have been enjoying great GBA and DS games on my DS Lite though...

10. benyaimin macrumors member

Call of Duty 2 is awesome on the 360 and so I'm sure its great on your Mac. You could even buy a wired 360 controller. :D

11. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Nice set up!

Get Halo, max the setting, get the updates and play online.

[​IMG]

12. benyaimin macrumors member

now there's an idea. you have a nice setup yourself, as I see in your sig. better than mine :(

13. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

14. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Battlefield 1942 is awful, the graphics are rubbish even when everything is on high and the gameplay is just awful, and I don't remember getting owned :rolleyes:

15. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

What genre of games do you like? RTS, FPS, MMO, sports, simulation, etc.

Battlefield 1942 LAN multiplayer was awesome.

It made for some intense gaming moments I'll never forget. I thought BF:Vietnam and BF2 were not as good in terms of gameplay (naturally they had updated/better graphics), they increased everything to the point it lost the easy get-up-and-get-the-game feel of 1942. Either way, the BF series is best in multiplayer modes.

Getting World of Warcraft depends on how old you are and how much free time you have. It looks and sounds like fun, but I personally wouldn't get it.

UT is always good if you like the fast-paced FPSs. WC3 is good. Starcraft is a dated but classic RTS. Half-life 2 has some good stuff.

Best advice check out review sites for well rated games in the genres you like, and cross-reference with user ratings.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you get! :)

16. bennettski macrumors newbie

bennettski

i have star wars jedi knight 2 which is good
    c&c generals and myst, they are all great but the game that i've payed the most on my mac is football manager 2006 which is awesome and so addictive.

17. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

18. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Lots of people like it and think the gameplay is great, so either you need to figure out how to play it--it's not your standard run'n'gun shooter--or else it's just not your thing. It's also years old, which means the graphics are dated, not rubbish.

How can they all be like Battlefield 1942? :rolleyes: As for Civilization IV, unfortunately the release version is seriously bugged, but it should be patched soon. But it's a turned-based strategy game, which sounds like it would be too slow-paced for you.

I'd suggest Quake IV, and the original Call of Duty (plus Call of Duty: UO). A lot of people seem to like the first one better than the second, even if it doesn't look as fancy.

--Eric

19. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I don't want to start a debate about whether Battlefield 1942 is good or not, I didn't like it, but I also didn't realise that it is years old, so I take back my comments on the graphics being crap.

I've looked at a few Mac games and I think I'll try Civ, Quake and Doom and see how I get on, otherwise I'll just give it a miss.

Thanks for everyones advice!

20. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Call of Duty 2 for sure. It runs farely well on my PC with an FX5500, with a old old old PCI slot. When my MacBook Pro gets here I'm gonna run it off bootcamp. COD2 is definately a go. Pick that one up, I am positive you won't be dissapointed.

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Reading comprehension=failed. ;) He already played COD2 on the Xbox360, probably not necessary to buy it again....

--Eric

22. Siderits macrumors member

23. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I have a question for you gangst: how is playing a game on a 23" ACD? I'm planning on buying one and also game a bit (COD, MOHAA and some others) and I wonder if the resolution isn't too high or do you have to downscale the resolution on the ACD? And how does it looks?? Didn't have a chance to find it out for myself.

24. 17luv macrumors member

Depends on what you like but if you like sim games you might try Rollercoaster Tycoon and Sims 2

25. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Not the only one!

Although I've only played a few levels at a friend's place, Doom 3 is one of my most soon-to-get games, along with Quake 4. I suppose it depends whether you like playing online or not. I would prefer not to, and love FPS, therefore Doom 3 is the one for me. Halo is also fun. I wonder when Halo 2 will be out for PC/Mac?

BTW, if you want a free FPS, I find that the two Marathon mods Marathon: Evil and Excalibur: Morgana's Revenge are excellent. Nowhere near Doom 3's calibur though!

Have fun!