Best Mac HD cloning software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by generik, Mar 29, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

Recently I've tried the latest version of Carbon Copy but I really think it has some bugs whereby it didn't copy all that it is supposed to copy.

My experience:

I upgraded to a larger hard drive (at that point I was using an external FW drive) so I booted up on that first FW drive, hooked up the new FW drive, and used CC to clone everything to that new drive.

Problem?

For some reason MAMP refused to work, with some error that some libraries are not available. So I tried booting up from the internal drive, and cloned from the first FW drive to the 2nd FW drive again.

Same thing.

This is the first time I ever encountered such an issue. Does CC have trouble copying from a firewire drive to another firewire drive? :(

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't use CCC (it had some issues last time I tried it), but I used SuperDuper! for exactlyu the same type of cloning (ext-ext) a few days ago and it worked fine. In my admittedly very short comparison, it appeared to me that SuperDuper was a far better program than CCC, and I've never gone back to CCC since.

3. superwoman macrumors regular

Did you wipe the target drive first?
    I often find that CCC has a problem when the target drive is not empty. So now, I use Disk Utility to format the target drive first, then CCC.
    Try it.

4. generik thread starter macrumors 601

generik

Do I need a registered version to use the cloning features of superduper?

I had a look around it but it actually seems more complicated than CCC, lol

5. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

6. zami macrumors regular

SuperDuper.

The free version lets you do a complete clone. The pay version lets you back-up without having to clone the entire drive.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

No you don't, the standard free version will work for cloning. The paid version gives you extra features like "smart" update of clones that update only files that have changed, saving a LOT of time. If you want a brand new clone, be sure to set the option to erase the target disk first.

8. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

anything similar to Norton Ghost? I want to clone my HDD like a ghost image... is that possible with mac? many thank :D

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

LaCie's SilverKeeper is another free option. I just used that, and it also has a kind of smart update, so you don't have to copy everything over after the initial cloning (not too clever but it seems to work ;)).

10. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

the Lacie software wont install on my mac :mad: :mad: it gives me an error and i tried to install several times and the same result -- :error: :mad: :mad:

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmm... that's odd... which iMac do you have...? One of the new Intel ones? I doesn't seem like SilverKeeper is Universal, yet...

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Got the slow iMac G3 400 dv slot-load system :eek: :eek:

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Weird. That shouldn't have any problems, really. What is it that fails, the (ancient) installer or the application itself?

And what OS are you running? One of these:

And just a note, according to LaCie, version 1.1.4 of SilverKeeper is compatible with PowerPC as well as Intel processors running OS X. But Apple's download site still doesn't recognize it as Universal.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Did you name the new FW drive the same as the old? Remember some Apple and/or ThirdParty scripts may store full paths (absolute) to files and executables and such. These will only continue to work if the volume name of the new drive matches the old so those paths can be resolved.

15. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm on X.4.5 .. downloaded: sk.114.dmg from lacie.com ...

Repaired permissions--done

Try to install using the installer i get this pic:

Attached Files:

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you also follow the rest of LaCie's advice:
    That's my best guess, I cannot find references to that specific problem at the troubleshooting pages... :eek: