best mac laptop for gaming and portability

Discussion in 'Games' started by biohazard6969, Jun 25, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

what is the best mac laptop with the best gaming for the portability, i will be using it at school next year but also almost like a desktop when i'm at home. i need the best bang for the buck (can't go over 3000 canadian) and i need it to be able to play most of the games of today and tomorrow, i'm still unsure of the purchase, but i have some good income now with a summmer job so i'm seriously thinking of upgrading. i'm also considering the wait for the transition to intel processors. i know my 12" 1.33 will last me a while, and i'd love to keep it when i get my new one. i'd use my 12" for school cause its pretty beat up already

2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I would get a 15 inch powerbook with 128 vram. Also with at least a gig of ram.

3. mcmillan macrumors 6502

There's not much to choose from. If it's for gaming, definetly a PowerBook. Since you dont want to pay more than $3000(ca), you will have to buy the 15" high-end (CA$2,899.00)... and maybe upgrade the vRAM to 128 Mb (+CA$130).

4. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Use your educational discount when you buy, and I suggest maybe getting Student ADC.

5. aspro macrumors 6502

well i have the pb 12" and it plays battlefield and world of warcraft okay, if you can go better than that it will be fine

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

7. smitty078 macrumors member

I can second this suggestion. The 15 inch is the perfect balence of portability and power (has all of the most powerful laptop options available but is significantly more portable than the 17" but not significantly less portable than the 12"). The ibook is out of the question since you specifically mention gaming and the graphics are a lot less powerful on the ibook than the powerbook.

8. biohazard6969 thread starter macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

yea, i thought that would be the verdict. i love my 12" and right NOW its doing fine, but i know it won't down the road, and plus, i love the portability but with that i sacrafice the screen size, i would love to have a 15"

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, technically I'd wait for intel macs. You have a 1.33Ghz 12" Powerbook and that'd easily let you wait a year for them comfortably. And my guess is that games will be the first programs that won't ship with fat binaries. I'm not saying that instantly all new games won't work ppc when the first intel ships - it's the same as games being almost exclusively G5 now. Most new games today might list a high-end G4 as a min requirement, but most people gripe about fps and quality on even high end G4s. I imagine that game devs will push aside ppc first, and I'm going to guess maybe a year after the first intel ships that they'll stop. Most games need more than just the app converted - games like UT2004 perhaps have data specific to the PPC in addition to the binaries.

Of course this is all speculation and not much different than the G5 and games.