Best Mac + Linux programmers keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by acidity, Mar 8, 2007.

1. acidity macrumors regular

Ok, so I bought a new 20" display screen. Now I use that as an output to my Mac or as an output for a standalone Linux box.

I want to use the same keyboard for both the setup. I code a lot.

So which keyboard do you people suggest to buy so that the transition between mac and linux keyboard layout is least.

2. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I don't think there's any difference between the layouts, honestly. The only thing I can see being different is that if you buy a non-Apple keyboard, you'll have a Windows key instead of a Apple/Command key.

My mother uses a Windows keyboard with her Mac and the Windows key, I believe, maps to the Command key automatically.

So, really, as long as your keyboard is USB (because Macs haven't had PS/2 ports for quite some time), you should be just fine; pick whatever keyboard makes you happy.

Of course, if you're really hardcore, you could always check out the Happy Hacking keyboard ;)

4. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

5. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Just out of interest - Macs had Apple Desktop Bus, not PS/2 ports in the days before USB. As far as I'm aware, no Mac (except maybe the ones in the labs while they were preparing OSX Intel) has ever had a PS/2 port.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Oh yeah :) I knew about that bus, but I thought a couple of the desktops, at some point, had PS/2 ports....guess I was mistaken...

7. aspero macrumors newbie

8. acidity thread starter macrumors regular

****, 90USD for a keyboard. Thats expensive.....but I think I will give it a try. Do you use it with your Mac??

9. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

Interesting keyboard... I wish they had a split keyboard model. :)