Best Mac Magazine

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macridah, Feb 24, 2006.

1. macridah macrumors 6502a

macridah

I somehow convinced my manager to pay for mac magazine because I said it was work related. Saying that, what mac magazine should I get?

Macworld or MacAddict or Something else?

2. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I've been receiving Macworld for a few months now (the free trial you get with a new Mac) and to be honest, I'm not very impressed. Some of the articles on digital photo correction and tweaking are ok but, like their news, I can get it elsewhere for free online.

The only plus side to it I think is the "Mac Gems" section that showcases new software (free, shareware and pay). That has helped me find some some goodies online I wasn't aware of before.

Perhaps if I didn't spend so much time reading this stuff online it would be of more value to me. :D

3. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Go for MacAddict, I have tried them all and it is really the best. I like the layed back style of writing along with the humor they sneak in. They are also brutally honest and straight to the point. I think they give away free trial issues too.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I subscribe to MacWorld, but have found nothing wrong with MacAddict as well.

For me, it's along the lines of what SeaSought said - I always keep up to date on this stuff, whether it be here on MacRumors or elsewhere in general, so in a way, reading MacWorld is "old news" by the time it is delivered. ;) That being said, I still do enjoy the magazine. :cool:

5. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Most Mac magazines seem pretty thin on content to me. I'll just hang out here and get my news and info when it's fresh :cool:

6. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Subscribing to a Mac magazine is kind of a waste of time if you visit this site with any regularity, to be honest. Having read both, I'd easily pick MacAddict over Macworld. Macworld, to be honest, just kind of sucks. :(

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree - they're always about a month behind on the news. ;) That being said, I have found many gems in the magazine over the years in terms of new peripherals I hadn't know about, and especially freeware apps and the like which I have since downloaded and used a lot - apps I otherwise would not have known about in the first place.

8. macridah thread starter macrumors 6502a

macridah

Thanks everyone for the advice. :D

I'll be going for MacAddict. I agree that online is the best source, but it's good reading on planes when I travel and I travel quite a bit for both business and vacation.

I did notice Mac magazines are thin and expensive -- ~7US

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

They shouldn't be that expensive if you get a subscription - you save heaps off the cover price that way...