Best Mac Mod.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by G4scott, May 23, 2002.

1. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I found the coolest thing to do to my iBook. I saw something like it somewhere where this guy put a picture of Moof the DogCow in the lit up Apple behind the screen. Well, I made my own, err, mod that is somewhat like that. See for yourself... She's not just for mudflaps anymore!

Attached Files:

2. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

And in the dark...

Attached Files:

3. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

Holy crap...that's just about the coolest thing i've seen in a while!!! Please link me to how to do this and I will try and get my roomate to do it!

-Pete

4. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

It's actually pretty easy, but I think it voids the warranty.

Turn off the iBook, un-plug the power supply from the computer, and remove the battery.

Next, using a special torx screwdriver, remove the 4 screws on the side of the screen.

(ignore the "*"'s.)

**o--------o**
    ->|o------o|<-
    **||screen||**
    ->|o------o|<-
    **o--------o**

After the 4 screws have been removed and safely stored so that they don't get lost, carefully snap off the back cover of the display. BE CAREFUL!!! Do not force anything. It is easiest to start at the top corners, and working your way around the display. Eventually, the plastic back panel should come off.

What I did, was use a lighting gel for the red color, and I printed out a picture of "Mudflap girl". I cut out the girl so that the paper (plain paper) would go over the entire Apple logo. I then taped the paper behind the gel. Finally, I aligned the picture with the logo, and gently taped it to the back of the screen. I didn't tape it to the cover, because I didn't want to ruin the white finish. DO NOT USE ANY SOLVENTS TO CLEAN THE INSIDE/OUTSIDE OF THE PLASTIC COVER!!! not even rubbing alcohol. It will dissolve the white paint, and you will have a clear iBook (if you want that, go ahead, but if not, you've been warned.)

Finally, snap the cover back on, and put the screws back, and enjoy!

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

thats kinda cool
    But its a worry, bye bye warranty

6. G4scott thread starter macrumors 68020

G4scott

Yes, this does void your warranty, but the mod itself is pretty easy. I really don't see how you could screw something up, unless you poke a screwdriver through your screen, or tear apart the plastic...

7. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I have to admit that is the most UGLY mod , i have ever seen. :p

I mean really disgusting, boring and not even funny.

Not only should it void your warranty but I think that Apple should sue you or at least make you stop and desist!

If there were a hotline to turn you in I would but i think that out in the boon docks they would never find you out.
    But that mod would have been good in the movie "deliverence"

8. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Dude, do you ever have anything positive to say? Really. I personally would not do that to my iBook, but man, you don't have to bite his head off with insults. He took the time to do something creative with his iBook that he likes. If you don't like it just say, I don't like it. You don't have be such a rear about it.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't do it to mine. Two reasons, my wife would not like it ;) and I prefer my warranty. Now when the warranty is up, then I am going for the clear iBook mod.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

10. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Always saying bad things?

Wow , I didnt realize that i was such a negative person. LOL

I must have said something nice recently?
    Is there a way to check my past posts with a search query for nice stuff?

Mmm, I will have to think about what kind of nice things, I have said recently!

Hey , I remember telling AlphaTech that he was a great tech and considerate and speedy! That was in the 7200 rpm thread. Now thats nice and kind, isnt it.
    As for being a rear,well if you saw mine in real life you would understand that I was downplayig reality! :p

I mean really! Do iBooks with that mod drive up to other iBooks in cafes and side swipe them off the table tops while blasting a loud horn wave.

It really is the ugliest mod I have ever seen, hope it comes off!

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Always saying bad things?

Man, I was trying to start a way, and you come out and bust a sense of humor on us. :p Damn. Oh, well, back to the macs and politics thread.

FYI next time take the bait :D

12. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

powerbook

has anyone tried this on their powerbook?

i mean, there are 4 screws around the lcd.. worth a try..

13. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: powerbook

You are more that welcome to go ahead and try it. Me? I'm not going to do anything of the sort; at least not whilst i haven't got the correcty tools for it, and a valid warranty....

What's wrong with leaving it as it is? I think the glowing apple looks cool, especially at night :)

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: powerbook

You know that is one thing I have never understood. Some of the Mods that people do (especially overclocking) of their new Mac's makes me cringe sometimes. Now after my warranty is up and the machine is under my wing so to speak, then maybe I would try to get original with my machine. No way in hell I would do it while it was still under warranty, or in the case of the overclockers, fresh out of the box.

15. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: Re: powerbook

he he... if you're worried about a small mod like the one described above, check out this one!!!

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Re: Re: powerbook

Ha! That was great! There was a video once on TechTV of Megan killing her PC. She took it up on the side of a cliff and threw it over. It was really funny, and you could probably find the vid somewhere on that site.

17. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: powerbook

It was a mercy killing. Best thing to do to your windows PC? Shoot it with a shotgun :p

I'll be you felt like doing that yesterday to your network....

18. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: powerbook

Yea, no doubt about it. I swear the next network we put in is going to be all Mac. Imagine an X-Serve supporting about 25 or 30 G4 iMacs. Now that would be very sweet! Set it up and leave. See you in a few years when you are ready to upgrade. I hate MS, but they do keep me working :D

19. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Indeed. But not as much fun as ruining expensive hardware!

I like the mod. I wouldn't use that logo in particular ;) but if I had an iBook, I think I'd do something similar.

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its interesting and a nice way to personalize your machine. But for me it wouldn't be worth voiding the warrentee, especially after hearing about all the problems some people have had with their LCD displays. Parts a labor on replacing it if it died would be quite a bit of money. No thanks, I'll leave mine the way it is.

D

21. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Re: powerbook

Sure, you can pop off the screen on the powerbook, I slipped some deep blue plastic sheet under my apple logo and made it glowing blue, haven't had the guts to go in after the sleep light, though.

check out applefritter.com for mods