Best Mac OS Ever - System 1.0

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wide, May 23, 2004.

1. wide macrumors 6502a

I am running Mac OS 10.3 Panther on my Pismo, but I think I'm going to switch to System 1.0, just to see what it feels like to live in 1984.

Does anyone know where I can find the System 1.0 software? I got really into this idea after reading this webpage:

http://www.nd.edu/~jvanderk/sysone/

Thanks

-wide

2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

system1 will not work as it has no ppc copatibility you might be able to ren 7.x but not much lower you could always buy an old mac (pre pppc)
    for cheap and install system 1 on that

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You cannot get the full experience until you do the "The Great Floppy Shuffle" for 6 months.

128K, 1 400k floppy drive with applications, data, and OS all on seperate floppies...

And swapping between all three of them every time you access the drives for any reason -- not one, not twice, but and seemingly endless number of times. :eek:

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

The Great Floppy Shuffle. i remember thee well.

I did it with 5.25" floppies tho. I didn't make the switch from Apple systems to Mac systems until Macs were at system 6. So i don't know much before that, although I have used earlier systems on occasion...

paul

5. Flickta macrumors 6502

The only problem is with B&W screen at low res. several thousand colors and 500 pixels more - and I would have gladly switched. Bye, Panther! Hello, System 1.0! :D

6. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I just threw away a whole box of old Apple system floppies :( I'll take a look, though. Maybe I still have a copy. However, I agree; you gotta have something vintage to run it on (pre sys 7).

7. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

If you want to know what System 1 feels like just get on any Windows XP computer - that's as about as advanced as Windows is. :D

8. unfaded macrumors 6502

Yeah. OS 1 will not run on your Pismo. It won't even come close.

Mac OS 7 wouldn't even run on it - what the hell makes you think ONE would?

9. Datazoid macrumors regular

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

A Mac Plus cannot run System 1.0. Its minimum OS is System 1.1. The newest machine that can run System 1.0 is the Macintosh 512k, which like the original Mac, was introduced in 1984.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Go for vMac. It's very weird, and if you're old enough, nostalgic! You can even set it to black out the rest of your display so you can live (or relive) the feeling of peering into the port-hole of a classic Mac. I don't honestly know whether you can run the original Mac OS on it, though. It depends on what version of the ROMs you get, I think. I've run 6.0x and 7.0, and they work fine.

12. Datazoid macrumors regular

Well, that's kinda funny, because I am using a Mac Plus ROM with the Mac Plus version of the mini vMac software, and its running System 1.0 just fine (actually system .97 w/Finder 1.0)...

Attached Files:

13. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

darn i suddenly miss 4-mac appletalk network games like Robosport...

shee you could go to pre-GUI days and get an Apple][ series emulator. Loderunner, Aztec, those were the days.

Is OS 1 a Lisa OS, or mac?