Best Magazine?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by volntitan, May 23, 2005.

1. volntitan macrumors 6502

May 4, 2005
    Hey Folks....

New "Mac"ey that I have 2 Macs in the house I wanted to subscribe to a magazine. Which is considered the best one? Not for a huge technophile, but one that gives good tips for home use and such.

2. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I've found MacWorld to be better than MacAddict in general.
  3. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    iCreate, without a shadow of a doubt.
  4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I've never read MacAddict, but I've found that MacWorld (the magazine and their online version) to be a great read, for techies and nontechies alike. Good stuff!
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I subscribe to both MacAddict and MacWorld. They are both good magazines. With MacAddict you will receive a free CD each month, has a lot of sample software and games.
  6. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

May 4, 2005
    Never heard of iCreate....will have to look and see if it is in the local bookstore to give it a try. (BTW, Stateside Mags).

Also have iPods, so a mag that has some info on them would be great also.
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    MacWorld, MacWorld UK, Mac at Home, iCreate and Mac Addict; in that order.
  8. volntitan thread starter macrumors 6502

May 4, 2005
  9. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2004
    Chicago (by way of SF)
    I can't name a single good Mac magazine -- or PC magazine, for that matter. Its all formula writing and editing.

Being in the magazine business myself, all I can say is "eegads" to b-2-b magazines and their tech siblings.
  10. punkbass25 macrumors member

May 16, 2005
    i haven't read a macworld in a while, but they used to bore me to death, i currently get mac addict, and while its good, it used to be alot better. the Wit and style of writing used to be the best around in my opinion, but recently they've started to mirror macworld a little more...
  11. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2005
    I guess Macworld is probably the better written publication, the number of typos in Mac addict is ridiculous sometimes. Although Mac Addict is generally funnier, and I used to love it when they used the glossier heavier weight paper.
  12. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    i'm also a mac newby once in a while i pick up both macworld and mac addict. i prefer macworld over mac addict it seems to me that macworld has a little bit more info. but they are both decent mags. if in doubt just subscribe to both of them.
  13. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    I used to subscribe to MacWorld and MacUser (it later merged with MacWorld). I currently subscribe to Mac Addict.

MacWorld started to get boring and most of the magazine was just ads so I later switched to Mac Addict

Mac Addict had been good for a while, but the quality of the articles and the amount of useful info has been lacking lately. I recently picked up a copy of MacWorld at a book store and found that the writing and info in the magazine has improved quite a bit and am now starting to think it's better than Mac Addict. Of course, I'll have to check out a few more issues before making a final decision, but I may subscribe to them again and just let my subscription to Mac Addict lapse.

As for Mac Home, I never really liked them. But I'll have to pick up an issue to see what they have to offer.

If you're considering subscribing to any of them, get your subscription through eBay. Way cheaper.
  14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
    I got a free subscription to Mac World when I bought my eMac. I think they are a really good magazine and very informative.

I will definitely be renewing my subscription when the time comes.
  15. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Apr 25, 2005
    Hayden, AL
    I just received my first issue of MacAddict yesterday, so I have not had a chance to look at it as of yet. I do have MacWorld as well and I can say that it excellent.
  16. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I have been a suscriber of MacAddict Magazine for about 1 year- Highly Recommended!!! MacWorld would probably also be a great choice. Your best bet is to get both ;).
  17. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero

You can find most of the information that really matters HERE! :D
  18. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Mac World, though if I can, I just read them instore. Saves more money.

I seem to find that I get much more information online, especially places such as this one...:D
  19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    My vote is with MacWorld. This is the second year I've subscribed to it and I look forward to reading it every month.
  20. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2005
    iCreate is without a doubt the best magazine, but at $15 an issue, or $150 a year subscription, MacWorld or MacAddict sounds much more reasonable. I don't have a preference between the two, they are both good magazines.
  21. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    MacAddict all the way. I enjoy if very much.

Go Spiffy! (I think that it the guy's name. If not, I have no clue where I got that from :) )
  22. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    One step forward, two steps back.
    what is this 'iCreate' that you speak of? (i'll google it)

(i don't like the site much, and "the most stylish Macintosh magazine ever created" sounds a bit OTT but i'll check it out if i find it)

yeah these mags seem pretty expensive so i tend to just save money by using the internet. if i have time to kill in the city, i sometimes just flick through the magazines 'on-shelf'.
  23. Lance Uppercut macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2005
    If anyone's concerned with the price of the magazines, you can buy third-party subscriptions - but without the additional CDs.

I know a few people who use as a place to buy mags (I heard of them from the Maximum PC forums). I've got 5 subscriptions going with them currently, and haven't had any problems so far.

If anyone wants to try it, there's also a coupon code TECHBAR15 that saves you an additional 15%. As far as I know, it's been active for at least a year, and worked just a few minutes ago when I signed up for MacAddict and Macworld.
  24. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    iCreate is rather expensive - and amazing. I recommend you search for it on amazon.

25. Lance Uppercut macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2005
    Is it generally carried at Barnes & Noble, or Borders?