Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What do you want that these two don't offer. Is there a feature you're specifically after? :)

If I didn't use Mail, I'd probably look at Entourage although it's not the safest place to keep email. It has a known database corruption problem. :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
What you're describing in Mail is atypical and should be troubleshot/fixed. But anyway, you can always try Eudora if it's POP or IMAP.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
In Linux, I use Sylpheed. Its a great client. I'm not familar with Mac, but if its anything like Freebsd, you could get the Sylpheed source and build the client.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Benjamindaines said:
Apple's Mail keeps crapping out on me and locking up, and I don't like the ported feel of ThunderBird or the fact that you can't select what out going server you send from if you have more then one account.

Of course, you can have Thunderbird select which outgoing server you use for an account, as long as you add those servers.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 62

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Dare I say... Entourage?

Never had any personal experience with it, though.

edit:mkrishnan beat me to it.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I used Eudora for close to ten years on both Windows and Mac and was very happy with it. I migrated to Mail about six months ago because my university is getting rid of its Eudora site license. I like Mail, but do miss some of Eudora's features (especially the ability to edit the text of a received e-mail).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Benjamindaines said:
Thanks for that tip. Now if you could un-port it I can use it :D

It's a fine application and it doesn't look to me as it belongs on any certain operating system so it's all up to you to overcome your issue. :D

They're building a calendar plug-in for it, if that entices you further.

After using Claris em@iler and being very happy, I switched to Eudora and wasn't very happy but it worked. When it stopped working for me and lost my e-mail history, I was happy to switch to Thunderbird.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
I'd say Entourage is a possibility, but having used it - I prefer Mac's Mail. Sorry to hear that you've had problems with it. It's not as flashy a program as Entourage, but it's less buggy (though this may not mean much to you), and with iCal and Address Book, it's able to do much of what I want it to. Good luck deciding.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
lanray said:
I'd say Entourage is a possibility, but having used it - I prefer Mac's Mail. Sorry to hear that you've had problems with it. It's not as flashy a program as Entourage, but it's less buggy (though this may not mean much to you), and with iCal and Address Book, it's able to do much of what I want it to. Good luck deciding.
MacOS X Mail works beautifully with hardly a hiccup. As a user of Entourage 2004 to access my firm's Exchange server at work, I can assure you that it is a steaming pile. Who ever heard of database corruption before? With Entourage 2004, database corruption is at your beck and call.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I agree with Yellow - Mail is and has always been rock-solid for me so if it is locking up and causing you problems you should try and find the reason for that instead of giving up on it so easily....oh yeah!

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Another vote for Apple Mail. It has a pretty nice layout and I always get my mail (and I forward to the POP address that my mail connects to).

DerChef

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Northern Ireland
I am still torn between Entourage and mail. Now that spotlight can index it I might just lean to Entourage.

Mail is more Mac like and free, Entourage more features and can access more servers and Hotmail without plugins

Eudora I find an interface mess for some reason, didnt like it at all.

Thunderbird I was put off the PC version when it kept locking up trying to import existing mail items. Not tried the Mac version.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
DerChef said:
I am still torn between Entourage and mail. Now that spotlight can index it I might just lean to Entourage.

Mail is more Mac like and free, Entourage more features and can access more servers and Hotmail without plugins

Eudora I find an interface mess for some reason, didnt like it at all.

Thunderbird I was put off the PC version when it kept locking up trying to import existing mail items. Not tried the Mac version.

I've been using Thunderbird on my PC for a cople of years now .... Probably will too when I switch to Mac.

vante

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
Copenhagen, dk, eu
I've recently started using entourage and like it despite the messy interface (the hotmail thing was the primary reason for changing).

Excuse my ignorance, but could somebody clear up for, how do I set entourage as my primary mail program so that mailto links on the web are opened there instead of apple mail?

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
vante said:
Excuse my ignorance, but could somebody clear up for, how do I set entourage as my primary mail program so that mailto links on the web are opened there instead of apple mail?
Open up Apple Mail and then go to Preferences. Then you will see a spot to change the default mail programme.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I would run the MacOS in slow emulation to get my email before I would consider switching to anything else from Eudora.

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
i've been with Eudora since version 2, not on mac, and still using it, it's a pretty decent email client, hardly have problem with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.