Best Media

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by student_trap, Apr 2, 2006.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey,

I'm about to buy some DVD's to back up some files to, and was wondering if there was anything i should know (i.e. DVD-R/DVD+R etc etc). I have heard that macs can be a little picky about which media they can burn to. I have a 12in Powerbook 1.5 that i bought in may last year.

what media do you use/would you recommend?

2. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

Taiyo Yuden (-R unless you are making DVDs for a particular DVD player) http://www.t-yuden.com/recordablemedia/index.cfm

From wikipedia:
    The DVD Forum created the official DVD-ROM/R/RW/RAM standards and the DVD+RW Alliance created the DVD+R/RW standards. Since DVD+R/RW discs are not technically DVDs as per the DVD Forum standards, they are not allowed to display the DVD logo. Instead, they display an "RW" logo, even if it is not rewritable, which some consider to be deceptive advertising. However, they are readable by most DVD drives, so they are commonly referred to as DVD+R and DVD+RW.

The "+" (plus) and "-" (dash) are similar technical standards and are partially compatible. As of 2005, both formats are equally popular, with about half of the industry supporting "+", and the other half "-". Around 90% of DVD readers (drives and player) can read the recordable formats, with DVD-R having the best overall compatibility in independent tests. Almost all DVD writers can write both formats and carry both the +RW and DVD-R/RW logos.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I go for branded stuff and haven't had any problems. Sony's 1-8x initially but now I'm using spindles from TDK 1-16x. They haven't turned out a coaster yet

4. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

thanks for the reply, i just picked up 10 sony DVD-R 8X (£10) and 50 Sony CD-R (£10) at john lewis.