Best Messenger? Adium vs. Fire vs. Proteus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GULCkid, May 7, 2005.

1. GULCkid macrumors member

Mar 21, 2005
  2. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
  3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I like adium the most. It's so skinnable and combines all the major IM clients.

I have my duck play the violin whenever I get a new message, heehee.
    I also skinned it to look like iChat.

One more vote for the Duck. :D
  4. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Ok well i have never used the others but i really like is simple and is super cool. It does what you want and is customizable..
  5. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I have used all three

used fire first for like a month i couldn't stand it, but that was a year or two ago

proteus was next which i used for about a year

now i use adium and i wont be switching back to another

also remember that Proteus costs money for the full features
  6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    i tried both fire and proteus, but can hardly remember them at all now. for me, there is no substitute for adium. it is hands-down the best, most fun, most easily customizable messaging program available for the mac.
  7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

Oct 4, 2003
    New York
  8. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2003
    I have used all three, and Adium is the best. I expected to use Adium till the new version of ichat came out with tiger, but i have come to love it so much i can't get rid of it. To echo some of the other comments, it is the most customizable client out there. It will suit your needs perfectly.
  9. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I use Adium 95% of the time and iChat the rest.
  10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    Cool i saw your skin on the adium extras page...thanks and keep up the great work. Awesome stuff :cool: :cool:
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    adium all the way for me, although im still waiting for a good iChat message veiw clone....
  12. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
  13. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Wow, I'm kind of surprized at the immense popularity of Adium. I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago.

Oh, it's so good and open source and beautiful. :D
    And if you're part of some super-secret government acency or something 0.8 features encryption.
  14. Kerry Sanders macrumors regular

Kerry Sanders

Apr 25, 2005
    Hayden, AL
    Adium looks pretty cool. It reminds me of Trillian, which I currently use on my Windows PC. I am going to install it next week when I get the Power Mac. I have not heard of the others, though. Sorry.
  15. zen.state macrumors 68020

Mar 13, 2005
    proteus is shareware so its knocked down a couple pegs for that alone. fire is a solid app and has come a long way but it lacks all the cool features and customizability of adium.

adium is a clear winner.
  16. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    It's funny how many people are always saying, is there a Trillian for the Mac or something similar, when Fire was out on the Mac before Trillian was released. In fact back then I think the only other multi-protocol messenger was a program called Everybuddy for Linux.

Anyway, I started using Fire with the public beta, and continued to use it through 10.3, but then I got sick of how much it was crashing, so I tried out Adium. I didn't really like Adiums messaging window, I liked the simpleness of Fire's, and I tried lots of skins and never found one I liked. So now with Tiger I'm using iChat and a Jabber account to connect to MSN and Yahoo.
  17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Way back in the days I tried Proteus, Fire and Adium, Fire and Adium was very unstable so I used Proteus for a while. Then Adium X was released, which is what I expect everyone is recommending, and that was just miles ahead of Proteus so I switched instantly and has never looked back...

Another vote for Adium X... :)
  18. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    Proteus is by far the best. I have used Adium and Proteus, and it is clear far more thought and design has gone in to Proteus. Adium is the wrong choice.

Edit: spelling
  19. ebuc macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2003

Adium...with ONE reservation

The school I'm attending this server has a proxy which blocks all but port 80. However I try I simply cannot get around this problem. Thus, I have been stuck using iChat for 3 months. To see the full details of my problem go to Adium Forums Problem

Even though a bit off topic, if you have any thoughts on solving my Adium problem, I'd much appreciate them.

So...if I could use Adium, it would be my favorite messenging client without reservations.
  20. wowser macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    The last Adium update was amazing. The only thing with Adium is, they update it so often, it's hard to keep up!
  21. iindigo macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I disagree... I tried Proteus and it felt rather bloated/clunky and crashed on me. Also, unless Proteus has changed recently, it doesn't have near the same amount of options for customizing your buddy list window. I love the fact that Adium can turn my buddy list into a dock.

Another thing I don't like about proteus is that it uses the free open-source GAIM IM engine just like Adium does, but then Proteus' developer gets low enough to actually CHARGE for the normally free GAIM engine. That *really* sucks.

Besides, Adium is free and Proteus isn't ;) I'll try Proteus again when it's free.
  22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    iChat AV is the best messenger by far. Not for the text chat features but for clear video and audio chats with other pure .Mac customers.