Best Method of exporting EyeTV files for highest HD quality?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Khryz, Jan 23, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2007
    As the title says, I am capturing 720p video from the Hauppauge HD-PVR using the Elgato EyeTV software, and the original captured file is beautiful, perfect - easily still 720p .. but in order for that file to be used in iMovie so I can edit I need to export the file.

From the options given in EyeTV, exporting to iMovie HD says it'll make an iMovie file with the same quality - but it's not very close. Once it's exported to iMovie it gives it black lines on the sides, the quality is lower as I see jagged edges on words whereas it's smooth in the EyeTV recording ..

Can someone help? What method is the best? I want to eventually put the video on YouTube so right now I get the EyeTV file, Export it for iMovie HD which makes a big iMovie file in HD but with lesser quality, and then I export it from there as an Mpeg-4 for YouTube. From iMovie to Mpeg-4 the quality doesn't decrease at all, it's only from EyeTV to iMovie.
  2. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2007
    It has come to my attention that because iMovie "HD" '06 was the first to support HD, it actually doesn't work well with it - and that's why my quality goes down a lot when I export an HD video.

I heard that the '08 version and most definitely the '09 version supports HD a lot better, but of course everyone hates the '08 version.

I'll get the '09 as long as it has a timeline editor like '06.