Best Mobile phone service in Michigan?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Josh, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hi, I live between Ann Arbor and Lansing, and am looking for good cell phone service.

I had a Nextel, and it got good service most everywhere, and there was no such thing as roaming.

The only problem with Nextel is that they only carry outdated phones (and few, at that).

So I recently got Cingular...and while I love my phone (Samsung x427m), I barely get any service anywhere. Good thing though - again, no roaming.

Sprint, verison, and tmobile all offer nice phones and decent plans, except they have roaming, and I don't know how well they get service.

I can take the Cingular back and cancel my service within 30 days, so I am considering doing that.

Do any of you live in Michigan and have any suggestions?

2. iceTrX macrumors regular

I live in Michigan and also have Cingular. I have never had problems with reception, I've rarely seen it go out. Cingular (now with AT&T wireless) now has a huge GSM network, they should have the most complete coverage.

3. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Thats what I was thinking - with the merge with AT&T that coverage should be really good.

But at home, I have absolutely no service, and even at work (downtown Lansing) I have absolutely no service. I would think at least in a city like Lansing I should be able to get service.

With my Nextel, I never had a problem getting service anywhere. I ALWAYS had service.

I would switch to nextel, but their phones are so ridicuolously outdated...looking at their selection is like a flashback of 1995.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I'm in Oakland County, and I have Verizon. I'd never go back to at&t cuz of the terrible costomer service, were talking awful.

Who do you talk to the most? Do they have Verizon or cingular/at&t?
    then decide.

5. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Oakland too...

AT&T Wireless TDMA (In Marquette for school, "Extended Area" is terrible cause they use another provider's tower). Going to switch to GSM when I get home. Get some bluetooth (good for meeting girls who have it near you and they walk by you on the street!) and whatever else a nerd like myself gets a kick out of.

I have used AT&T for almost 6 years.

6. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

I talk to my girlfriend mostly, and she has cingular.

I also like to call other people at random, not necessarily cell phone users. So I do like to use my phone alot.

I cant do that with Cingular as I barely get service.

It seems like nextel is the choice, as I always got good service with nextel - I just cant believe they are still using ancient phones.

They seriously offer like 2 color display phones, and neither one of them is very nice. Thats the only thing stopping me.