Best monitor to go with the new G4 "Headless" iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by SteveC, Jan 2, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

What are the best monitors now days to use with something like the rumored new G4 Headless iMac?

I already own 2 Apple displays and want to go with a 17" CRT or LCD monitor in the sub-$300 range now, if possible.

The last time I purchased a non-Apple display was 5+ years ago when I got a Viewsonic and it was a good product. Have things changed since then?

What are some of the best monitors on the market?

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Well in LCD out side of apple (which I think are over priced as it is) there is LG samsung, NEC, and dell that are all really good.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, for me the ideal display for a headless mac would be a 17" LCD that has a VGA (assuming that is what the headless mac uses) and video input. I'd like a built in video input as I would like to hook an Xbox right up to it, and keep both at my desk. Would be a nice setup I think. Would also be nice if the monitor supported a PIP with both inputs.

So far the only monitor I have foind like this is the 21" Dell widescreen LCD. It's about as much as the computer and the Xbox combined would be... I would love a 17" that sported the features of this 21" display tho!

Rob

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Formacs will probably look the best but aren't cheap .. LaCie has some decent ones ..

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's easy to oversimplify: Samsung, LG and NEC make some good monitors, but they also make some crap ones at the cheap end of the scale. And they change their models over time, somtimes radically, with only tiny differences in the model numbers. Same with Viewsonic, Sony and others. You really have to look at the specific model numbers.

I go to the computer magazine review sites and try to find what the consensus of opinion is on specific models.

PCWorld maintains Top-10 lists for many categories, including 15, 17 and 19" LCDs. This is the most consistent place I have found for comparitive information.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/index/0,00.asp

ZDNet I have found are too eager to push you into their pricegrabber/affiliate sales links when you are looking for real reviews. LCDs are here

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Monitors/4502-3174_16-0.html?tag=ont-peri&qt=&orderby=-7relDte

MacAddict reviews are spotty in both consistency and coverage, and are not well organized on the site

http://www.macaddict.com/reviews/hardware.html

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

A CRT will definitely get you a lot more bang for the buck if you want to keep it under $300. In fact, you should be able to get a Viewsonic with excellent specs for under $200.

Better color fidelity, better, sharpness, faster rise time, better contrast etc. The only downside being that it will take up more room than an LCD.

7. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

... and produces more heat, uses more electricity, produces a huge magnetic field, more eyestrain...

There are a lot of reasons why LCD's are better. Space may be the most obvious difference, but I would argue that it is not the most important one.

8. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

He did want the best monitor for less than $300, didn't he? Being that this is not his primary monitor he obviously wants to keep it under budget, so there's absolutely no question that a CRT will give him much better value for money.

Of course the CRT produces more heat etc, but then again LCD's restrict your viewing angle, have less contrast etc.

As one wise sage said, "there ain't no free lunch"!

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

The freakin computer isn't even out yet!

That being said...

Apple displays are generally high-quality, extreamly-high-price. Dell monitors have gotten good reviews here, not so their computers. I have a NEC monitor that works nicely, 2 stuck pixels but one of them is my brother's fault.

10. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

With all the issues with the new aluLCDs one of the above seems to be false ..
    :confused:

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have a NEC LCD1760, no dead pixels and is very fast. No ghosting on those AAA titles. Very happy with it.

12. Jsmit macrumors regular

Perhaps Apple will produce lowend displays for the rumored lowend headless Mac. Other displays will probably be a better value, but..

ahh, let us just wait and see if this Mac gets introduce and then if they introduce displays t go with it.

If you don't have a display already, have you considered an eMac? The same price as the rumored headless mac + display in a nice neat package. Probably similar specs too.

13. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to everyone for the input so far! Am I right in assuming there are dozens of opinions on this? I was kind of hoping I'd get 10 replies with similar content but I guess that would be too easy? ;)

Mechcozmo, thanks for your input as well. As a side note, even if a Headless iMac is not released, I'm thinking about getting a G5 and would still need a monitor for that, so the monitor question still applies. :)

14. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have for sure, and you made a great suggestion. That's exactly what I'm going to do if there are no other systems I like more. I just sold my eMac G4 1GHz, and wouldn't mind owning a new 1.25 or faster, if one is announced next week.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

remember not everything will be announced at macworld wait until the following tuesday for the silent updates.

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

If apple does not introduce affordable LCDs for the low end cosumers they will probably have NEC/Mitsubishi for sale at the apple store (probably 15 & 17 inchers). I am guessing NEC/Mitsubishi becuase they sell there CRTs at the Apple Store already. I would guess that apple would make LCDs for the rumored computer to complete the apple look that is unless the rumored computer hooks up to a TV.

17. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Silent updates, such as an upgrade to the eMac specs, or something considered "minor" compared to the rest of the updates? Would it be smart to wait a week before making a decision then? Is a week the standard time frame, or could it be 10 days, 2 weeks... etc.?

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I am thinking of getting one for work, where they are kind enough to let me use a Mac instead of a PC if I am willing to buy the computer.... I will connect it to a 21 inch Dell CRT... Actually I might connect it to two if it can support a dual video card.

19. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

It's all random. It's a bit more highly likely it'll be on some Tuesday, but that's all I can give you. Just wait until after MacWorld, then buy what you want. Because if you don't, you'll end up in the Great Waiting Game... along with the rest of us.

20. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I'd wait to see if this rumor even happens before worrying about what monitor to use... On a side note, I'd recommend a Samsung LCD.

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Those have mostly been fixed, from my chats with the Apple people at the store here... plus the one's I've seen look pretty good, and there are far less threads on "My new monitor is messed up!" than when tey were first introduced.

22. Jsmit macrumors regular

I'm surprised no one has asked you this, what is your primary use of this computer? Is it for graphics? Mostly office applications? The iLife? I would say if it is for the later too, you could live with any monitor which you like the form factor and the price. I would just try to see it in person if I could, because you will likely be staring at this screen for many hours. You can read all specs in he world, but what it really comes down to is how it looks to you.

I know there are so many displays out there that is overwellming (even from just the brands mentioned), you could drive yourself insane trying too find just the right one. There is not one perfect monitor for you, but instead many different monitors that could make you just as happy.

Let us know what you do decide to get when you do, and what you think of it. BTW: The waiting game is no fun.

23. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Good advice. I wouldn't want to buy a monitor without checking it out in person. As for what I'll use it for, I use my Mac for "everything..." College, business, creating presentations, word processing, high-end games, music, DVDs, graphics design, making web sites... "everything" is a good summary.

I don't need a $5,000 monitor or one that does dishes, but I don't want something with poor quality either.

On that thought, do "poor quality" monitors even exist these days? Are all monitors decent, or do some clunkers still exist?

24. Jsmit macrumors regular

I can't recall hearing about any bad monitors but there must be some out there. I think that it is just a matter of value for the money especially if you go brand name. I wish I could help you out some more, but I am in the same boat here (except no chance of a PM). I( am in the research stage, and have not even begun to narrow down the search. I can't even decide between CRT and LCD. There really are a lot of choices. sigh.

25. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've got a 8 year old 17" CRT from Sony that I use as my second monitor that my kids are going to get when the $500 Mac comes out next week ;) . It's good enough for them (and rugged). There are some nice 17" displays from Samsung that are priced right. I believe they were around US$350.