best mouse

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Biggles, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Biggles macrumors member

hey im just curious what all you guys think is the best optical mouse for OSX (excluding the Apple Pro Mouse)? I feel like replacing my one-button mouse and i just would like an opinion about what feels the smoothest, the fastest, and whatnot. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I've actually been attacked for suggesting the M$ intellimouse before, so I'll just say that any optical with a scroll wheel, multiple buttons, and OSX support will be a step up from the no button mouse you have now.

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Macally ioptinet. I am using it right now on my TiBook under OS X without any drivers (other then what is built in with OS X). No wake up issues, or any abnormal issues for that matter.

Oh yeah, and it sells in stores for just under $30. Gotta love optical (no balls to clean). :D

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm using a Wacom Intuos tablet on my TiPB with OSX and OS9.2, it comes with a 4 button, programmable mouse and a pen. I couldn't imagine using anything else. One thing, I had to spend $400 for it (9x12), but for my job its worth it.

5. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

An optical Logitech. it has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel, optical, and it glides easy. It doesn't get stuck to anything. I don't know the model number, but, it has graphite sides, is light blue on the top, and it has the logitech logo is sort of in a gushy thing.

I know my description is bad, but you should know what I mean if you see it.

(OSX has full 2-button and scroll wheel support, which makes it really nice)

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Like others have said before me:
    Anything optical with two buttons and a scroll wheel that fits your hand well.

I have no problem with MS mice...now that we have drivers.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Rower, the problem I have with getting a m$ mouse, is the company that makes it. How much do they go for anyway?? I would go with a Logitech long before one from m$. I like the looks of the Macally as well.. besides the differnet color 'jackets' that you can put on it (to match your cpu of choice :D ). Of course, I go with the graphite one. :D

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

True...I definitely don't like supporting MS anymore than anyone else here. I won't be getting any more. But the ones I have now work great and are comfortable to use...

9. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I've been using the M$ intellimouse as standard issue on all the FCP systems I've set up and started using them since at the time they were the only ones available with programmable buttons.
    I have since been rethinking using them since I've found that of the last three or four that I've purchased two had less smooth action and one came broken out of the box. I still like the number of programmeable buttons and the scroll/push and scroll feature.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Kensington Mouse-In-A-Box Pro.

Attached Files:

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm perfectly happy with my logitech cordless optical. One less cable to worry about, and a nice shape to fit my hand :) Didn't need any additional drivers either.

[​IMG]

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

britboy, you using that puppy with OS X??? I am getting a bit tired of the cord between the computer and mouse, since it keeps getting caught on things, or gets in the way. How large is the transmitter for the mouse??? Any RF interferance??

If I do get a replacement mouse, it will be by either Logitech or Macally. Something to be said for companies that actually compete with others, and don't try and squash the competition with unfair practices (like m$ and intel). :D

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

yes, i have to use batteries, but it's no problem. I have two sets of rechargables, and just alternate between them.

The transmitter is connected to a USB port. It's slightly smaller than the palm of my hand, and lies down flat for a low profile. So far the only issues i've had are when the batteries are nearing empty; the cursor seems to stick. The additional software (for programming the buttons i think) doesn't work for osx, but for games the extra buttons function perfectly :) RF interference? Not so far.

It looks slightly ugly, but keeps me more than happy :D

15. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

I'm using the same mouse with OS X. Switched from a corded optical m$ mouse and haven't had any regrets. I could never go back to corded for personal use after this. IMO, this is the best mouse out there. Says on the box that it has no support in X, but the default X drivers pick it up right after you plug it in. I use USB Overdrive X to program it's various settings/buttons.

Transmitter for the mouse is smaller than the mouse itself, say, about the size of a baseball distorted in a weird shape. I haven't noticed any RF intertference even with all the electronics in my room. Range is about 6 feet, but you wouldn't ever need to get farther away than that.

Batteries are no problem, even with heavy use. The sensor blinks a lot trying to conserve energy whenever it can. It's only constantly lit when it's in motion. Otherwise, it just sends out a pulse every now and then when it's inactive.

The rubber grip on one side is nice. This mouse is made for the right hand though. The ambidextorous mouse is a step down from this one IMO.

It's ugly— but as they say, form follows function.

16. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Speaking of mice, I opened my original Apple ADB mouse (it actually has four metal screws on the bottom) to clean it, and found that it was made by Logitech ©1988. Go Logitech!

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I think that most mice innards are made by Logitech with other companies using them. I know that several from IBM show up as Logitech mice.

18. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Logitech MouseMan Traveler gets my vote for best looking mouse for a portable. Matches the TiBook.

Attached Files:

19. gerror macrumors 6502

20. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

You could go on eBay and buy a M$ mouse cause then they never see that money.

21. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Theres the logitech Im using. Its about the same as britboy's except $20 (U.S.) cheaper. Doesn't have the rubber on the side though. Believe me Hemingray, I've been using this since the beginning of March and haven't swapped batteries yet.

Attached Files:

22. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Or the extra programmable button. I use that to simulate the carraige return so I can confirm dialog boxes just from the mouse if need be.

This one's more comforatbel too— made for right-handers. But that's a quality mouse too.

23. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Logitech Cordless Optical Scrollwheel

Drivers? I don't even bother with them. Never found that third button to be useful and the mouse just works with OS X.

Batteries?
    Heck yeah. I go through a pair of AA's per month. Just buy a 24 pack and you're set for the year.

24. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    macally micro

it is a small optical 2 button, scroll wheel mouse. i regularly put it in my pocket while i carry my tibook around. no problems/drivers at all. it is nice and small, only as high as the ti.

25. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am using the same exact one. It is the Cordless Optical Mouse; by logitech. It is very confortable, and I really like it!