Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I really enjoyed Cinema Paradiso for its interweaving admixture between the nature of cinema as a political tool and the delightful "sexual" exploration during childhood. There is a particular humanity which doesn't behave in such a subservient fashion to an arched attempt at pseudo-intellectual cinematographical tricks. Compared to the movie Life is Beautiful (another gravely overrated foreign film), Cinema Paradiso has a sense of joie de vivre that most cookie cutter French and Italian movies have completely missing from their blood.

:eek:

I just thought that it was great film!

( ;) )

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Indeed, but the question is whether you could explain why it is a great film? For me, that's a more essential question than having seen the film itself.

It has that certain 'something' about it. A sort of cinematic 'magic' that makes me feel better about myself after watching it.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
That might be the question for you...

Indeed, I always look at a flick that is seen and try to compare it to various films in the same genre and place it within the context of the history of cinema. And yes, that even includes that horrific Epic Movie I saw a few months ago.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Borat was the most fun I've ever had watching a film...
Gladiator is my favourite historical film...
Star wars is my favourite sci-fi...
La haine is my favourite foreign film...(French and definitely worth watching)
Con Air has to be mentioned...

After all those, I still love About a Boy, closely followed by the greatest animations of all time Lion King and Jungle Book...

(Bear in mind that I'm only 15)

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Well, my personal favorite movie EVER is...

Office Space

I love that movie, but I try not to watch it much because it definitely makes me want to be a lazy bum for the rest of my life :p

As far as my favorite movie that motivates me...

Miracle

It probably helps that I am a hockey nut, but that movie can get me motivated to believe even when others say its impossible...and its a true story!

Retired
May 16, 2006
My vote goes to either Blade Runner, Pulp Fiction or 2001.

It sometimes seems like I'm the ONLY PERSON to think that Pulp Fiction was so-so...although I'm not partial to John Travolta at all...

I'm amazed that Fight Club has not been mentioned...not in my Top 5, but a lot of people's favourite film...

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Nahh, honestly, I loved The Silence of the Lambs.
Don't imagine you have many takers in terms of dinner invitations eh? :D

After reading through this thread I realize how many movies I really love including The Godfather Pts. 1 and 2. I actually also like Pt. 3 but I don't thnk it was up to par with the first two.

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
Criterion is releasing Army of Shadows in May. I'm really psyched that the UCLA Film Archive is having a Godard retrospective starting this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak up there and catch some of his works that I haven't seen.

Dangit I'm already getting more broker and broker with my enlarging Criterion Collection set as well as getting more Apple stuff.

Funny that two companies can drive a man completely bankrupt! :eek: :cool: :D :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.