Best movie trilogy

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Aug 18, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Following on from this thread, what do you think is the best film trilogy, for me it has to be the Die Hard Trilogy.

2. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

I'm going to go with The Godfather, though I really enjoyed Star Wars (episodes IV-VI).

Bill

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'm guessing that the Matrix and the Lord of the Rings trilogies will be up there in a couple of years.

Star Wars has just sunk down a few spots due to the recent crap they've put out (tarnishes the originals)

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Not to start a flame war, but I love the prequels!! I think that as standalone movie they do suck, but when viewed in light of the originals, they are very good. Also, Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie ever, and by far the best of the Trilogy.

5. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

6. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Back To The Future

Indiana Jones

*quick note-Back To The Future Trilogy comes out on DVD Dec. 17

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Definitely! Back to the Future needs to be on the list just for its sheer number of great quotes...

"Now make like a tree, and get outta here"

"Elaine, you're my density..."

"I am Darth Vader... from the planet... Vulcan!"

8. macsurfer macrumors regular

INDIANA JONES!!!

INDIANA JONES!!!

INDIANA JONES!!!

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I would have to say that it will be The Lord of the Rings for me. I know it is not complete yet, but based on the first one, it is the top of my list.

Otherwise:
    Resevoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown

10. Paladin macrumors member

Best Trilogy - From Dusk 'Til Dawn 1-3...or have they sent already sent a number 4 straight to video? What was Tarantino thinking?

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Erm....hello...trilogy meaning 3 :rolleyes:
    I don't remember there being Pulp Fiction 1, 2 and 3.

12. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Err hello, the three movies were related to one another. Some movies that are part of a trilogy don't follow one story thread.

Look at the "New Jersey Trilogy" as it is called by it's writer/director Kevin Smith. Not only are Clerks, MallRats, and Jay and Silent Bob Strike back part of different stories, with different names that don't end in 1 2 or three, but some of the characters are played by the same actor, yet are playing different characters. You must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, judging by your posts today.

I would say that the movies that I mentioned all took place in the same "world" and are related to one another, and thus fulfil the definition of trilogy.

As yet another example, look at La Femme Nikita and The Professional. Luc Besson calls The Professional a sequal to La Femme Nikita, even though Jean Reno's character dies in both movies!

Maybe you can start a thread and ask people what their favorite three movies whose titles differ only in the numbers at the end of them, and that the number of movies is not greater than three. Would that make you feel better?

13. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ok mate, chill, I don't want to start any arguments, whatever is cool :D

14. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

Same Here, Indiana Jones.

(though, LOTR when fininshed, will be the next number one I guess, shared first place I'dd say)

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The original Star Wars trilogy.

The Indiana Jones and Austin Powers trilogies come in second.

16. job macrumors 68040

job

Indiana Jones...

Although they are apparently planning on making a 4th one with Harrison Ford....

17. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Star Wars, followed closely by Star Trek II, III, and IV.

18. macsurfer macrumors regular

Ummm, that's not a trilogy, dude. That's just three movies by the same director. Don't argue with me, I earned my degree in Film History, Theory, and Criticism.

19. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

STAR WARS IV, V, VI

LOTR, when its all relesed

Manhunter, Sclience of the Lambs, Hannabal
    actually manhunter sucked but the other two were great.

and many more.

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well this is an ez question even though the 2nd 2 movies are yet 2 be released:

The Matrix trilogy

The Matrix - The Matrix Reloaded - The Matrix Revolutions

They are going to be tight - go to The Matrix Online to learn more about the sequels.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I don't think you can actually say the best trilogy is something you haven't even seen. LOTR- Fellowship was good, but it really wasn't what you would call riveting. And the Matrix was great as well, but its all potential, and speculation - like a rumor that the new G5 is going to blow the doors off of every PC out there and say the *G5* is the best computer, even though no one's got one. Come on!

For me, I'd go with Indiana Jones or Austin Powers, Goldmember was fantastic.

And, the worst trilogy in my book has to be Highlander - the first one was great, but wow, did they really screw up the other two.

D

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That is true on some things. Like I couldnt say that if they made the tomb raider movie into a trilogy (angelina jolie) that it would be good. But LOTR and the Matrix were 'riveting' - and with the amount of time & money being spent on them - there is a good chance they will be awesome. And even if the second ones suck it will still be a good trilogy because of the 1st one.

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When has throwing time and money at a movie guarrenteed success and a good movie? Don't even get me started there.

And *a good chance* doesn't mean it will. You missed my point, anything not a trilogy thats been released shouldn't be considered - sure they all have potential - but its silly to say they are the best.

Thats all I'm saying, deal with it.

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

You got that right. I loved the first one but the second one sucked. I mean, a hole in the ozone layer was the best plot they could get together. I haven't even bothered renting the third one yet.

25. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I cant really say that LOTR will be good but I think it will, but as for the matrix I am sure it will. I have spent a lot of time researching it, and I have been dissapointed by absolutely none of what I have learned about it. The special effects in the first one were revolutionary, but the inside people on the matrix trilogy are saying that the special effects in this one can't be coppied. Just by looking at the trailer (available at thematrix.com) you can tell that the movie is gunna be awesome.