Best mp3 player and best browser for Os9 on a 180Mhz PPC???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vollspacken, Apr 17, 2004.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

I just set up an old PPC 5400/180 (the black one...), and (in addition to my "internet sharing"-thread) I have a question for you die-hard Os9 headz ;)

I dug up Photoshop 3 and xPress 3.4 plus my old edu version of Office 2001... works nice, BUT here comes the pain:

iTunes is nice on my tiBook, but iTunes 2 on my PPC 5400 kind of sucks (especially in 256 colors...), so does Internet Explorer 4.5 :p

so, 1st: can someone recommend a good browser that (at best) is kind of similar to Firefox or Safari (I mean, has tabs..!)?

2nd, what is the best MP3-player for that machine (I remember using Audion on my iMac DV400 back in the Os9 days, but Audion 3 does not want to work on the 5400... :( )

c'mon, give that machine some good use :)

vSpacken

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I can't recommend a browser, but there is a fast little mp3 player called 'Mint Audio' that works from OS 8 up to X. It supports mp3's, oggs, and even modules!

3. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Hah, I was stuck on a 7200 this weekend, that was bad enough. What made it worse was it had Netscape Communicator on it, what a godawful browser that was. I used it to download iCab though. iCab worked pretty well, it's a modern browser but lightweight enough for older powermacs. Give it a try, the address is icab.de.

As for mp3 players, I suggest you track down a copy of Cassady & Greene's SoundJam MP. That's what I used on my rev A iMac before iTunes came out-in fact I believe it was used as the base for iTunes originally. Good luck finding it, C&G is dead.

4. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

5. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

how come you suggest a German website :) ? I graduated from an Iowa College (Luther) in 2003...

vSpacken

6. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Yes! SoundJam was the way to go! Vollspacken, if you are interested in the software and can't find it out there, send me a PM.

As for browsers... what did I use back then? Probably Netscape Communicator 4.7x (ugh) before I gave in and went with IE 4.x (ugh ugh).

By the way, I had a PowerMac 5400 @120MHz, and I'm pretty sure it could display thousands of colors--yours should be able to as well, I think.

7. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Maybe becasue that's their web address :) Doh
    I used to use iCab before safari on OSX, it worked fairly well.
    Certainly lightweight.

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i second the mint audio. there was also a free mp3 player that worked from the control strip i found when i still had 9 on my machine, but i've forgotten the name. mozilla 1.2 will run on os9 and it's still top notch in terms of both features and support. i seem to recall there was a project that released a browser based on a post 1.2 version of moz for os9, but i can't remember what it was called.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

sound jam was cool. One thing it did that even itunes does not do is remember where you were in a playlist when you close and reopen the program.