Best nano skins?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Must.Get.nano!, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Must.Get.nano! macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

Best way to protect your nano (with skins) wich ones are best?
    __

1...2...3... GO!

iPaul

2. d00kie macrumors member

I'm just waiting for a skins with a screen protector. Speck seems to be in the process of rolling out a whole new line up of nano skins:

http://www.speckproducts.com/for-nano.html

My favorites of the bunch are the See-thru and the Skintight ones.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Those Speck ones look nice; but expensive! I just ordered one from www.decalgirl.com. They just introduced a clear variety, which is what I wanted, and the price was right... under $6 shipped! They cover the front and back, including the screen and the click wheel. They say it is removable and reusable, and leaves no 'goo' on the iPod from the adhesive.

From the look of it, it's two separate pieces that you put on the front and back of the nano independently, so it leaves the sides unprotected. Seeing as the nano is so thin, that's a pretty small percentage of the surface area, so I'm not too worried about it. Besides, for <$6 it's worth a try!

I'll write up a full review after I actually get the nano and the skin to me and have a chance to fully test it out (should be next week, according to apple.com)!

EDIT: Wanted to point out that the decalgirl.com site has nano screen protectors for a couple dollars for 3 pieces, so you can use it with another screenless skin if you wanted to.

4. Must.Get.nano! thread starter macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

That review would really help. Thanks
    iPaul

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Excellent find, mrgreen4242.

I'm off to order some now, thanks!

6. d00kie macrumors member

Cool, I didn't know decalgirl had 'em in already. Looks like I'll be getting one from there. Thanks a lot for the link!!! :D

7. benwa02 macrumors 6502

8. d00kie macrumors member

Decalgirl has the Paypal verified thing at the bottom of the left menu so I assume they do take PP payments.

9. benwa02 macrumors 6502

Hahah. Thanks, I didnt see that.

Ill prolly order one since its so cheap. Right now I am keeping the clear film that came on the front of it to keep it safe. I have a few scratches on the back. Boy does that thing scratch up quick. Def. use protection like you always should

10. number9 macrumors 6502

Yeah I think I'm definitely going to order atleast one of those things from DecalGirl.com. Eventually I'll wanna get an armband and maybe a tight thin silicone/rubber skin so I can put it somewhere other than in my pocket at the gym (main reason I bought the nano anyway). but since nothing like that seems like it will be available for a couple of weeks, and my nano is supposed to arrive sometime tomorrow, I'll take any protection I can get.

11. number9 macrumors 6502

one dillema though... does any one think it'd be rediculous to pay $17.95 for express shipping on a 3.99 skin so it gets here ASAP so my nano doesn't get scratched? :p

I'm thinking it is, I'll prob just pay the $4.45 or whatever for priority shipping

12. d00kie macrumors member

My nano still hasn't shipped but I thought I'd order the skins now. Just ordered a set of the crystal clear ones. With all this waiting, makes me want to just step up my nano to express shipping (is it possible btw?)

13. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Nope, at least in the past, Apple cannot change the shipping method once the order is into a certain phase (basically you would have to cancel and reorder). That's what I have been told by Apple in the past at least.

Some of the decalgirl shipping is pretty pricey, but the express shipping is only $2.25 and it has the same time frame as priority (1-4 days). Like others have mentioned, the price is right with the cheaper shipping, that it's worth a go.

The clear skins are brand new on the site. I ordered my nano on Monday, and I don't figure it will be here until mid next week at least, so I wanted to order up a skin to have ready right away so I can try and keep scratches to a minimum from the get go. I had been looking through the other skin options and I didn't like any of them. This was yesterday and then today they had these clears ones listed and I ordered it immediately. I am hoping it comes before my nano so I can apply it right out of the box!

As far as a review goes, I will post something as soon as I can, and I will try to test everything I can think of... installation, overall fit, amount of stickiness, removal, reinstallation, scratch durability (to the extent I am not going to actually try to destroy it, but I will see how it does against common stuff like fingernails and light keys in your pocket kind of thing), how hard it is to keep clean, overall touch and feel, and appearance.

14. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Did you get a black one?

If you did, you made the right desicion getting some skins. These things scratch incredibly easily. It's almost comical how absurdly careful I am with mine.

15. Must.Get.nano! thread starter macrumors regular

Must.Get.nano!

I still dont get how the skin concept works . is a sort of a case, or kind of sticker

-i really feel like an idiot askin this :confused:

Tnx guys

iPaul

16. d00kie macrumors member

Like a sticker, except it won't leave any sticky residue (according to them). It protects the front and the back but unfortunately, not the sides.

17. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Nope, white. :) BUT I have seen how much scratches can accumulate on my wife's 1G 10gb and my dad's 3G 15gb iPod, so I went with a skin...

18. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I look forward to reading your review mrgreen. I'm using a ipod sock right now, but I don't like the extra bulk it adds.