Best NCAA Football Conference

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bowens, Sep 8, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Who do you guys think is the best conference in college football. I hear everybody say the SEC, but I'm going to have to say the ACC. Looking at the BCS games since the BSC started, current ACC teams have played in 13 BCS games compared to 11 in the SEC. 6 ACC teams have played for national championships, opposed to 2 in the SEC. and 2 ACC teams have won national championships opposed to 1 in the SEC. Granted, in head-to-head matchups, the SEC has won 3 out of 4 BCS games against the ACC, but I think BCS births and national championships are more important. What do you guys think? All this information came from the BCS website.

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

the SEC is the best, i wouldnt' go by BCS bowl games or national championships because then we could say the big east (bcs games) or pac-10 (championships) have a claim to this as well.

top to bottom the SEC is the best, much as i am a pac-10/big XII fan.

does ACC have a championship game?

also look at the bottom of SEC v Bottom of ACC:

SEC: kentucky, vandy, ole miss, miss, USC
    ACC: Boston college, wake, duke, north carolina, maryland

3. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the ACC is tough, but the BCS bids have more or less been spread among 3 different teams: FSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech...I think Maryland squeaked in there once, right? And really, before Miami/VT left the Big East, the ACC had FSU and...well, not much else.

In terms of conference strength i.e. a conference with the most teams that can take a legitimate run at a national title, I think you probably have to say the SEC is tougher. Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are all, usually, among the best teams in the nation.

though I've always rated college conferences on the number of pro players they produce, so I'm inclined to think of the Big10/Pac10/SEC triad as the big leagues in college football. Just my opinion...

5. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

What are you asking -- the best conference this year, or the best conference historically? Or are you asking the past ten years?

The Big East gets a bad rap, considering how many national championships it's played for historically and how young and on the way up it is. Pittsburgh, Rutgers and UCONN are all programs on the move toward being real, national programs and West Virginia and Louisville are good enough to play with anybody this year.

But if you're looking for the best conference in the NCAA, you need look no further than the Atlantic Ten. A .600 winning percentage in the 1-AA playoffs the last six years, two of the last three national championships and five teams in the preseason top 25 -- hard to find a more consistent (and difficult to win) conference.

EDIT: And I do believe Richmond shutout Duke last weekend .... ;)

6. achie25 macrumors 6502

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

8. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

in today's world.

SEC by far the best. most powerhouse schools, no real cupcake teams

Big10. even the 'little' schools of the conference can be tough. like minn, wisc, etc

ACC. the ACC has really fallen off this year. Miami, FSU, VT, or NC St just arent what they used to be.

with that said.... GO CANES!

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I say the Mountain West Conference

May be a bit biased but we got TCU, CSU, and Air Force which almost beat tenn last week

that and Utah has done weel like a year ago with going undefeated, first non bcs school in bcs game and had #1 nfl pick alex smith

10. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

word

Go MSU Dogs! Shooting for four losing seasons in a row!

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Rankings don't count that much, especially this early on, but:
    SEC with 5 teams in top 15:
    #3-Auburn, #6-LSU, #7-Florida, #10-Georgia, #13-Tennessee

Big 10 has 4 teams which span the top 25:
    #1-Ohio St., #11-Michigan, #16-Iowa, #25-Penn St.

I'd go with SEC, again. SN pollsters think so, too.

Attached Files:

12. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

You forgot to point out that Iowa and Penn State couldn't hold a candle to any of the 5 SEC teams you named.

SEC is the best conference hands down. If they wouldn't have to play eachother every year theay would dominate the rest of the NCAA.

13. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner!

See yesterday's LSU/Auburn & Florida/Tennessee. Every week is like that.

14. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Each conference is different every year. The best test is not the bowl games - since not every team actually decides to play well - it is how they do against other powers. So this year...Big Ten

OSU over Texas - in their house

Michigan just destroying ND - in their house

Go Blue! (Sorry I'm totally biased)

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

SEC.

LSU/Auburn was a WAR yesterday, by the way. LSU got hosed on some calls, but it was still a great game.

16. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

That game was taken from them.

Even the weak SEC teams play tough football (maybe not Vandy), and just becasue they aren't ranked doesn't mean its cake for the powerhouse teams.

If the SEC didn't spend all season beating up on each other and then again in the championship game, they would contribute a national champion every year. Period.

Not to mention they have to fight the biased media that wants Notre Dame and USC to win it every year (e.g. LSU a couple years ago).

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Yesterday afternoon, I wanted to see the Michigan vs. Notre Dame game so bad, but had to go visit a sick friend at home. I thought for sure he'd be watching football (two birds with one stone...all that). I get there and he's watching "Love Affair" on the Hallmark Channel. Just shoot me.

Anyway, good to see that Michigan owned the Irish yesterday. Was it as ugly as the score?

18. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Except for Tennessee. I'm a UA alum, so I'm required by law to promote intense dislike for UT whenever possible. ;)

19. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

LOL true dat!

20. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

It was uglier than the score. Michigan went into a prevent defense (dumb) at the end of the first half that allowed an easy drive for a touchdown. Otherwise ND couldn't move the ball, protect Quinn, or stop Michigan. It was a really satisfying win.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

As much as I'd like to say the ACC (Go Jackets!), I'm gonna have to say that the SEC is one tough conference with the likes of LSU, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and sometimes South Carolina. There are a lot of tough games that make it difficult to win the conference, and just about any one of those teams still has a (remote) shot at winning the conference. (Although I secretly hope that none of them are winners :D ).

I have to say that next would be the Big 10 (Go Blue) or the Big 12 Conferences. (The UM-Notre Dame game was awesome).

But in basketball, the ACC is the best. :)

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Add Arkansas to that list of SEC ranked teams come Monday. Go Hogs and sorry Auburn fans.

jon

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Tennessee 51-Georgia 33. SEC is indeed tough.

24. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

As usual, the SEC is beating up on each other. Florida's the last hope for a high BCS position, but not my favorite by a long stretch.

EDIT: 2,500th post. Still at my 2.89 per day rate!