Best News Reader (Usenet)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tikibangout, Feb 11, 2006.

1. tikibangout macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    What does everyone recommend? I'm already signed up for Usenet, all I need now is a good program. Anyone?
  2. gwangung macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Decent, but the latest version has introduced a few bugs when you ignore a poster....
  3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    MT-NewsWatcher is kind of showing its age, but it still does the job and it's free.
  4. mingisback macrumors regular

May 21, 2003
    United States
  5. jalagl macrumors 6502a

Jun 5, 2003
    Costa Rica
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    There is a small security/privacy issue that Unison users should know about. If you use more than one news server, it will check the groups you are subscribed to on any one server to all other servers you use, making those group names available to the curious. If you use NNTP for internal workgroup communications, you want to avoid this program for use both there and on public services.
  7. huski macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2008
    I see that Mac is really disadvantage when it comes to news reading, one decent Unison is not free, OS X news is developed in amazing speed (latest news was posted a year ago!). Any other software that could be promising is in beta or pre-beta stage. Sad.
  8. mitsu13gman macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2008
    Portland, ME
    Perhaps it's just a punctuation issue, but I'm not entirely clear on what this issue is.

If I understand you correctly, you are establishing a case that you have one set of newsgroup subscriptions on one usenet server, and a different (possibly overlapping) set on a different server. In this case, are you saying that the superset of all subscriptions on all servers will be checked on any given server? And are you also saying that, furthermore, any users who have access to your list of newsgroups on one specific server will actually see this superset list of newsgroups?

If so, I can understand how, for those who require usenet for their work environment, this could be compromising. A possible work around might be to have two separate installs of Unison, one for each server.

That said, I migrated to the Mac only recently. I was using virtualization to run a Windows newsreader that worked for me, which ultimately drove me to upgrade from my CD Mac Mini to a Mac Pro. Almost immediately thereafter I found Unison and I haven't even installed a virtual desktop on the Pro since rebuilding it.

I've got to say, Unison is about the cleanest, slickest little newsreader I've ever seen.

As to the cost - I guess I just don't mind paying someone for their hard work to develop a program that suits my needs. Freeware is great and all, but compared to the $1000 it costs for some professional applications, I can deal with $25...

9. mashny macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
    I've been using MT-Newswatcher and have always liked it -- never had an issue with it.