Best note taking application?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by ny2nctova, Jan 23, 2011.

1. macrumors member

ny2nctova

What is the best note application, where the user can use a stylus and write out stuff.

Im really looking for a nice app that i can write and take notes, NOT *type*

2. macrumors 6502a

penultimate

3. macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors newbie

6. macrumors 6502a

I've been bouncing back & forth between Notes Plus & Note Shelf. and I think Note Shelf is now in my top slot. It's got the fluidity of Penultimate plus the organization of iBooks combined with the zoom mode of Notes Plus.

7. macrumors member

Does Note Shelf's zoom mode also automatically move the zoombox so that you can continue writing? This is a feature I really enjoy from Notes Plus, but other than that I don't really care much for its UI in its current state.

8. macrumors 6502a

It doesn't - and I've actually been good with that. Although I really like the idea of Notes Plus automatically moving that zoom area for me, I found that the act of moving to the gray area and lining up with (but allowing enough space) the past writing to be a bit distracting. On Note Shelf, they've placed the "move the box to the right" button in a perfect spot - for me, it's really natural to just hit that button at the end of the line (like a carriage return) and then keep writing.

9. macrumors regular

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 and say that Note Taker HD is, by far, the best note-taking app for me. It works perfectly for taking notes in Math, Science and Engineering classes, and I bet it would be great for business meetings/other classes as well.

10. macrumors member

IMO, 'Evernote' is one of the most popular note-taking apps which is free and available on a variety of platforms such as (Mac, PC, iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry, etc.). Furthermore, it allows you to take notes while recording audio but only for a maximum of 20 minutes.

11. macrumors 6502a

But he was specifically looking for a "non-typing based" app.

12. macrumors member

I have been using Note Taker HD this entire semester and I would be lost if I had to go back to handwritten notes. It is an awesome tool. The interface is a little bland, but it has all the correct tools for easy hand written notes. I am using a stylus which I think is required.

13. macrumors regular

I find when I'm "printing" (not to a printer, but the motion of drawing letters with my hand) using a stylus, Note Taker HD is a little slow to respond. Do you find the same?

14. macrumors regular

I am using a Pogo but I really don't like it. It's a bit of a disappointment, actually. I find it works fine with SketchBook Pro.

15. macrumors 6502a

I find the Boxwave to be the best. Much better than the Pogo which I find to feel a bit cheap.

16. macrumors regular

I didn't know about this brand, but thanks for that. I am going to order one.

17. macrumors newbie

I like notify