best notebook for $700-$800

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by choppers5000, Nov 4, 2003.

1. choppers5000 macrumors newbie

hello sorry to be of stealing idea from other poster but what is best apple notebook i may please get for moneys of about 700-800 USD? something with the combo, airport and good amount ram? i'm talking about used model and not new model. 12" screen also make me happy...

thank-you very much

p.s- also i would like a package with ibook + ipod (i don't mind the gen1 or 2 as i don't have many musics)

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

A couple months ago Amazon.com had 12" 700mhz iBooks for $800. They probably have newer models at the same price now--but don't expect to find a G4 iBook at that price yet. However, those iBooks had CD Rom drives, no AirPort, and 128MB RAM. Apart from that, you can roll the dice and try Ebay. It seems possible to find an older iBook or G3 Powerbook plus an older model iPod for $800. Just use your head on Ebay and avoid getting ripped off.

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Also be sure to check the "Special Deals" link on the Apple Store page--it's in the left sidebar with a red "SAVE" tag. And I've found Mac of All Trades to sometimes have very decent prices on used stuff. Just realize that they don't do a clean install of the operating system, nor do you get system or other application disks with your purchase. Fast turnaround and no other surprises, though.

4. mstecker macrumors 6502

I'va had the occasion to sell and/or buy at least four iBooks on eBay in the last copule of months.

Generally, they hold their value pretty well. For $750, though, you should hold out for a combo drive model and 600mhz. You may be able to do a little better, but not much.

You can save a boatload if you only need a cd-rom drive. Becuase the internal optical drives aren't upgradable, this makes a huge difference in price. Nowadays, it seems that most people want to have the capability of watching DVDs on their laptop.