best notebook for under $1k?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by flukewurm, Sep 21, 2003.

1. flukewurm macrumors member

Sep 21, 2003
    im purchasing my first mac pretty soon. im going to be using it for mostly music production. multitracking/recording. light photoshoping. web browsing.. blah blah..

ive been into PCs pretty heavily for nearly 10 years now.. never really been interested in macs till very recently. ive done a good bit of research but just consider ive been studying macs for only a couple of months now. *shrugs*

i need a laptop for under $1k and ive decided to go mac. im thinking im pretty much looking at an ibook 800 or a PB 667 (if/when i can find one for ~ $1k somewhere). if i got the ibook i would definatly max out the ram and go for the combo drive. as for the PB i would probably go 512 if it wasnt already installed.

so which is the better deal in your opinion.

i dont need incredible power.. i need something thats "just enough". something that wont get bogged down crazy with simple tasks. i plan on installing panther on the machine when it comes out.. so maybe keep that in mind? (with all the reports of panther boosting ibook g3 performance slightly).
  2. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    ummm the best notebook for under 1000 is going to be like an 800mhz ibook....

check around apple's refurbished page for some good deals.

And i dont know where you are going to find a sub 1000 dollar PB over say 400mhz :D
  3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    Re: best notebook for under $1k?

the combo drive model is 1299 if memory serves. instead get a refurbished 12" powerbook at 867MHz for 1199. there's a good chance this "refurb" is actually new because models were recently updated (i.e. it's a left-over)

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I really don't understand some of the suggestions given at MacRumors sometimes. Its not personal, but as a whole, people don't really seem to get what he's asking for.

Firstly, the suggestion of getting a discounted $1199 867MHz 12" PB is good..........but it IS over $1K, no offense.

Secondly, he said he was interested in getting an 800MHz iBook with combo drive, which is the combo drive model iBook before the update in June 2003. So it won't cost $1299 since its the previous model.

I say get the iBook. It won't be slower than a 667MHz G4 PowerBook if you max out the RAM, and it'll also be newer. Or better yet, wait to see if there's an iBook update in October. If there is, then the 800MHz iBook + combo drive will be 2 generations old instead of just 1 generation. This will make it cheaper for you.
  5. flukewurm thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2003
    Re: Re: best notebook for under $1k?

im going to buy used anyways... im not so worried about prices posted on the apple website..

yeah.. a little more research has showed me that the current price for the PB 667 is about $1200ish.. :( which i guess if i were to spend $1200 id go for the refurb 12" 867.

so yeah.. i guess my question is pretty pointless now :p

now for the hunt for the best deal for an ibook 800

6. iPC macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2003
    East Windsor, CT

click on the red tag (left side, most of the way down the page)

i just got a refurb iBook 800 combo drive (128MB RAM and 30GB hdd) for $999. Best part is it comes with full 1 year warranty, and you can buy Apple Care too, if you want.

i bought a 10GB iPod refurb there too... and it has been great.

you can get 512MB of RAM for $75-100 depending on quality ($200 from apple - waste of money) and a airport card for $75 or so.

or you can just swing over to