Best Notetaker App for School

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ColdFlame87, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

I was wondering what the best application for taking notes during lecture at school is? Does anybody have any good recommendations, something affordable < $50.00 would be great, free and feature full would be awesome. Thanks in advanced

2. rdhmario3suit macrumors member

Hmm..what exactly would you like it to do?

I don't know of apps myself, as I usually use lots of symbols in my notes where nothing short of either a pen/paper or tablet pc can do...that I know of. I guess you could just type out symbols...but for math and stuff it's still going to be tough.

But yea if anyone knows I'd love to check it out.

3. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

the latest copy of Microsoft Word has a really nice built-in template for taking notes. It has a built-in recorder, so you can record the lecture and have the recording synced-up with your document. And it looks cool.

EDIT: it also has a cool "Scribble" feature for drawing graphs, pictures, whatever.

Attached Files:

4. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

This program by Circus Ponies is great for school. I haven't used the new version but you can download a free trial.

5. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Wow, where is the scribble feature? I always just wrote "look at figure 1.1 in word notes" and than took out a looseleaf and drew the diagram and labeled it 1.1... but this would be so much cooler! :)

6. ColdFlame87 thread starter macrumors regular

:confused:
    Yeah but unfortunately the full version of Microsoft Office is above 100 dollars the circus ponies notebook program looks more like what im looking for whats everyones experience with this software? Anybody have any other recommendations?

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Can't you get the edu version? I picked mine up on campus for $7. Came with virtual PC!

Try voodoopad. I used that before I discovered the word notebook. If you actually register it, it's $30, IIRC. It has a scribble, too :)

8. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I use Microsoft Office's notepad function thingy above, but it seems outta ur price range, but in my mind that's your best bet, teamed with recording its amazing.

9. hidea macrumors regular

I like using Notae. There's something with it that makes me feel organized better.

However, I do like Office Mac's notebook layout and the features (recording, good for lecture).

10. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I agree. I tried the whole "type your notes" thing, but for most classes, it was just more of a hassle than a benefit. I guess it kind of depends on what classes you'll be taking notes in, though. If there are any symbols, graphs, etc., I would definitely ditch typing on a laptop in favor of good ol' pen[cil] and paper.

11. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

as some other people have posted I would recommend Office:mac 2004 (if you can get it with the edu discount)

the notepad and recording features are very good.