Best online FPS for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by indigotheory, Jul 24, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

May 1, 2009
    Ok, so been playing wow for a while, fancy a change, whats the best online FPS out now for the Mac apart from Call of Duty 4, i played way too much of that on the 360, and is there going to be a 10-14 day trial etc....

Thanks in advance
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2003
    NYC, Astoria-Queens
    I still play a lot of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It's a teamwork driven FPS. It's got plenty of depth and plenty to do even when you aren't shooting. No demo or trial though. It's a pretty old game now so don't expect a lot of graphical bells and whistles.

Check out the tutorials and see if the gameplay matches what you like.

Also you can see competition matches at

Public matches on 12v12 servers tend to be more chaotic but it's still a good intro to a game with no demo.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty 2, Halo, Unreal Tournament 2004.
  4. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2008
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2004
    Left 4 Dead under cider runs very well now and they fixed the text/freezing issue.

Personally if you want the best performance for a game, just run it under boot camp. The differences between the same title under OS X and XP/Windows 7 on the same Mac are staggering.

CNC3 Kanes Wrath Windows version runs much, MUCH better under Boot Camp than its OS X counterpart.

But on a desktop you may not notice. I'm always on Mac laptops, so the performance gain is much more noticeable with mobile GPU solutions.
  6. macrumors member

Jun 30, 2009
    Arlington VA
    I would say call of duty 4 is the best one out right now.
  7. macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2009
    Battlefield 2142

If you want more out of an FPS try Battlefield 2142. Vehicle options, Infantry, Medic, Engineer.... Plenty to do, each having there role on the battlefield.