Best online stock trader...?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kingsly, May 5, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I am using WellsTrade right now, but they only let me dabble in mainstream stocks. I have lost countless potential dollars in "other" stocks.

Soo, anyone fond of a particular one?
    Any specific pros/cons I should look for?
    -Thanks

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

I use etrade. Minimum of 10k or you'll get charged quarterly (I think $40). Depending on how actively you trade, commissions are $13 to $7.

If you trade 15 or more times a quarter, they give you a nice Java-based trading platform which they call Power E*TRADE.

Limits orders have no additional fees.

I've been happy with etrade. The commissions could be lower (and they are at a few other discount brokerage firms).

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

We use Scottrade. They don't have holding fees and charge $7/trade. We've been happy with their service so far.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

First Trade, because it holds one stock that my Sharebuilder account didn't seem to have. That's it.
    I used to use etrade, but they claimed I didn't trade something when I know that I did. I left.

5. iMarley macrumors member

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've used Ameritrade (now TD Ameritrade) for about eight years and been very happy. I don't do anything more complicated than buying and selling stocks outright (4-5 trades per year), but Ameritrade's been good to me for what I need.

7. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

How much are the commissions? Minimum investment?

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

TD Ameritrade has $9.99 commissions, no minimum ($500 minimum if using electronic transfer to open account), no maintenance fees for a standard account. If you open an account with $2,000, you get 15 free trades. Margin and option trading requires a $2,000 investment.