1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Best OS for 1GHz eMac?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 8thMan, Mar 25, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

8thMan

I have received a 1Ghz eMac with 1GB of RAM, running 10.5. It seems sluggish: windows open slowly, Youtube vids play unevenly. My old 667 tibook running 10.4 is a lot smoother. Is 10.5 too much for this machine? Should I install a lesser OS? Thanks.

2. macrumors 65816

scienide09

I would definitely downgrade to 10.4.x, especially with only 1GB of RAM. Leopard's a little too demanding for that. If you can bump the RAM cheaply, it may be worth it. But even then, I doubt you'd see huge improvement.

3. macrumors 68000

Bacong

Heh. I'm running Leopard on a machine with 1.25 Ghz and 1.25 GB of ram and it's not quite as fast as the macs I use at the Apple Store, but it's not much slower. I'm quite pleased with it. I'd try a fresh install of Tiger, that should work swimmingly.

4. macrumors 6502

I have 10.5.X on my 1.25Ghz eMac. When I first got it I put Leopard on it, and then bumped back to 10.4 because the difference was significant enough for me warrant the downgrade. Then I upgraded it to 1GB of Ram an reinstalled Leopard. It worked well enough for my daughter just going to Disney channel and ePets. I didn't notice it being overly slow for her. Significantly better than the G4 800 she had, but 10.4 was surely smoother. Then I found out you could actually put 2GB of Ram in the eMac. So I installed that and replaced the hard drive w/ a 7200 RPM drive and now it's quite nice. Not for the faint of heart, but fun for me. I can see her using this already nearly 5 year old machine for another 2 years unless it were to fail.

5. macrumors 6502

hughvane

Agreement with other posts on this - Tiger is probably the most you want to put on the eMac 1 GHz. You are however limited to 1 Gb RAM maximum in that model (ref: Mactracker), which is a strong argument in my book for stopping at Tiger.

6. macrumors 6502

Windows Vista :p