Best OS for G3 and G4 (different uses each)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lind0834, Jan 13, 2006.

1. lind0834 macrumors regular

My Intel iMac should be shipped any day, so now I can do some more effective computer swapping. I'm gonna do some reformatting and reinstalling to clean out my computers, so what should I reinstall on each?

I have Pather and Tiger Discs enough to go around.

I have a 600MHz G3 iBook with 640MB of RAM.
    -- I mostly use this for Safari and iPhoto when I'm on the road. I don't need Widgets or Spotlight. Is there a speed increase with Tiger for normal use? I think I heard that Tiger's base install would take up most of my 15GB drive.

I have a 400MHz G4 PowerBook with 1GB of RAM.
    -- This will be my backup computer. Storing my photos, docs, and music. I have 2x 300 Gig SATA drives making every safe. Is there a speed increase with Tiger for disk access or networking?

Thanks in Advance.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

10.4 both, it's faster as long as you have more than 512MB ram, my ibook is identical to yours and i'm typeing this on 10.4, it's faster than 10.3.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I hope you're right, I'm going to migrate all my G3/G4 Macs to Tiger in a week or so. :)

4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I would recommend Tiger for both as well. I recently installed 10.4 on an old iMac G3 400MHz (512MB memory) and it ran pretty well for basic stuff. The important thing is memory, and both your machines have enough.

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I'm even thinking about running tiger on the computer I built up for my mom, its a beige g3 oc'ed to 315mhz.

6. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, I would have to go with Tiger on this one too. I didnt feel that big of an improvment from Panther to Tiger but from 4.4 update, my system feels alot smoother (minus my OSX crashing all the time but thats another thread we are discussing lol)

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Another vote for Tiger on both, especially the TiBook...there's no reason Tiger won't run excellent on that!

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah. I agree. My G3 500MHz iMac w/ 256MB RAM runs Tiger surprisingly well.

9. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Definitely go for Tiger. Tiger seems a lot faster to me than Panther. That was on a 1.25GHz eMac, but I'd say it'll still run good on the machines you're wanting to put it on. They have plenty of RAM.

10. lind0834 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Wow that was easy.. Sounds like Tiger is the best!

11. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

i''ve got Tiger on my iBook in my signature and it's very capable and barely lags at all, it's actually surprisingly quick. I can't say it enough, I'm amazed by my Macs' longevity

12. Morn macrumors 6502

I tried putting panther on my g3 900mhz ibook. It lacked the power to playback divx smoothly. On tiger divx ran smoothly. Video playback is faster on tiger at least.