Best OS X Text Editor?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Classic, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Classic macrumors regular

This sounds like a pretty stupid question, as you can edit text on just about anything...

But I'm wondering what people's preference is about OS X native text editors. Which is the best? I've got BBEdit Lite 6.1 installed now, and it pretty much sucks as you can't copy and paste or find/replace. But, I'm not really down with spending $129 for a licensed copy of the full version.

So, what are some better/cheaper alternatives?

I found a program called WebDesign from rage software:

http://www.ragesw.com/webdesign/index.html

But I haven't heard about it before. I definately don't want anything like GoLive or Dreamweaver. Just a simple text editor that doesn't screw up my code.

Thanks.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

BBEdit all the way...

oh come on, its worth it.

or..... Carracho!

irmongoose

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Best OS X Text Editor?

You can't copy/paste or find/replace in BBEdit Lite?

I'm pretty sure you can... give it another try... it's pretty full featured for a freeware version

arn

4. Timothy macrumors 6502

5. dwdesign macrumors newbie

I have to agree with Arn. I use BBEdit Lite 6.1 for all of my web programming. It's extremely full featured for a free version. Cutting and pasting works just like any other program on a Mac. Find/Replace is as simple as choosing find from the Search menu at the top of the screen. You can test the fully functional full version of BBEdit by following this link. http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/bbedit-demo.html I think the full version is worth the money. I'm thinking about buying it myself.

6. Classic thread starter macrumors regular

BBEdit

Thanks for the responses.

I got BBEdit Lite, which is version 6.1.1 here:

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit_lite.html

It is different than the demo that dwdesign is talking about, as that is the full version 6.5.2 that expires after 24 launches.

In the version that I have, you most definately cannot cut/copy and paste. You can cut or copy text, but not paste it. Also, you can't paste it into another application either. Strangely, you can copy text from another application and paste it into BBEdit Lite.

It does find and replace quite nicely though. I'll have to try the demo of 6.5.2, and then decide whether to spring the cash or not.

Thanks again. Any other comments are welcomed.

7. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

for txt

for txt I use TexEdit. It comes with the OS X developers tools and you can dowload it for free. ... the whole pac that is. I dont like the one that comes with OS X... but thats just my opinion. I have never used BBedit. I just think a text edditor should small and simple... and not $129.00.

-evildead