Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Hi:

Anybody have an opinion as to a good password manager for osx? I'm looking for something simple that'll keep track of various accounts and passwords for me. I've been doing it with pen and paper for a while but there must be something out there - maybe even a widget?

I guess I'd like it to have some degree of security (sigh, a password for the password manager - how do I remember that one :) ) so maybe a widget doesn't work. A small app then - preferably freeware. Thanks.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
hakusai said:
Hi:

Anybody have an opinion as to a good password manager for osx? I'm looking for something simple that'll keep track of various accounts and passwords for me. I've been doing it with pen and paper for a while but there must be something out there - maybe even a widget?

I guess I'd like it to have some degree of security (sigh, a password for the password manager - how do I remember that one :) ) so maybe a widget doesn't work. A small app then - preferably freeware. Thanks.

why don't you simply use keychain? it's "keychain access" in application/utilities.
i stores your passwords encrypted on the HD. and you can even sync your keychains/passwords via .mac with other macs.

i think it could be more intuitive but i save about every password there. it's supposed to be safe.

andi

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Yes- you can create a whole new keychain just for your passwords, or just a new note in the keychain to store your passwords in. So if you did both, you'd have to type in a password to unlock the keychain and then another to read the note.

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
redAPPLE said:
i use this special hardware from "The Brain" and it integrates very well with its award winning software, Memory.

no service packs needed.

I tried downloading your brain but google kept telling me it was vaporware. :rolleyes:

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
andiwm2003 said:
why don't you simply use keychain? it's "keychain access" in application/utilities.
i stores your passwords encrypted on the HD. and you can even sync your keychains/passwords via .mac with other macs.

i think it could be more intuitive but i save about every password there. it's supposed to be safe.

andi

Thanks....I thought keychain was only for website-related passwords. If there's some way to make use of it as a generic password manager, I'll take a look. I've got a series of accounts (not web-related) for which I want to store passwords, in addition to the dozens of website passwords.

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
decksnap said:
Yes- you can create a whole new keychain just for your passwords, or just a new note in the keychain to store your passwords in. So if you did both, you'd have to type in a password to unlock the keychain and then another to read the note.

Any idea how secure the keychain is (i.e. what level of encryption is it protected by?) Thanks

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...I used to just use the keychain...but then I decided I wanted something a little more and ended up paying the very inexpensive shareware fee of $10 for Passwordmaster - it is great for not only all your web passwords but your software registration serial numbers etc as well. Maury is hard at work on the major revision (v2.0) which looks even better....oh yeah!

hakusai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...I used to just use the keychain...but then I decided I wanted something a little more and ended up paying the very inexpensive shareware fee of $10 for Passwordmaster - it is great for not only all your web passwords but your software registration serial numbers etc as well. Maury is hard at work on the major revision (v2.0) which looks even better....oh yeah!

Cool....just saw your posting. What's the reason you use password master over keychain? One thing about keychain is I found it a little cumbersome to use and I found many websites disable "autofill", so keychain can't plug in accounts and passwords. I guess this wouldn't change with password master?

GrammaCarol

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2009
what about info.xhead?

I had it recommended and it seems pretty good. PROBLEM i was using the trial version. Between it and the one I bought I couldnt recall my password to it The password I signed up with doesnt work or anything else
its stuck and wont let me close it or delete it because it says it wont close because i dont have the password. Id really like to get it going but am stuck. Any ideas?

alexus

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2006
i like keychain, but is there a way to share it among other mac or non-mac users

njl

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
SAT
1password is pricey but it syncs up to all my macs via dropbox and my iphone and touch..

it works for me and is really easy to use.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
1Password is great. Once you have it, its hard to be without. Luckily I got mine free when they were letting users give out free invites.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
iThink I'm going with 1Password....

I don't understand why resurrecting old threads are bad still...someone clearly did some searching and it's better then having six threads every day about which 1TB External you should buy...

tallguy

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Canada
Another vote for keypassx. I'll admit I find it a bit cumbersome with some things but I just don't want to go through the hassle of changing everything over to another application.

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
I've had PasswordWallet for a number of years and its been very useful. Blowfish encryption of the password file, and allows me to click & auto-enter super long passwords for banks etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.