Best PC Card Reader for New G4 Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by betsbillabong, Dec 13, 2004.

1. betsbillabong macrumors regular

I have a new 15" powerbook and I'm thinking of putting a card reader into the PC slot. Does anyone have any recommendations? About how much will this cost? I currently have a USB reader that does the trick, so I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money; it's really just a convenience thing.

Right now my camera uses a CF card, but ideally this would be a combo reader so that I could also use other types of cards - SD, etc.

Thanks,
    BB

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have two of them - one for CF cards and one that does everything but CF cards.

Mine were made by sitecom (http://www.sitecom.com/) and work fine. They didn't cost much - less than £20 for both.

3. betsbillabong thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking of getting the Viking reader. It's on sale for $5 at Amazon!

I didn't know what the prices were, and had assumed something under $50 -- but this is ridiculous. Shipping will cost more. Or maybe I'll just order it along with my christmas presents.

!!! A pleasant economic surprise... not so common in the world of Mac :)

4. CalfCanuck macrumors 6502a

Anything should work for Type I CF

I've used 3 or 4 different models (2 shipped with various devices, including a thicker Type II model for an old 1GB IBM microdrive I bought back in 2000), and never had a problem with any compact flash cards.

I always upload via this method, because I shoot from 5 or 6 CF cards on my various bodies. I don't think I've even taken any of the direct camera-to-computer cables out of their plastic bags for any of my 6 digital bodies!

So the cheap Viking model should do you fine!