Best phone holder for car?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by detz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

I just want a holder that latches onto say my vent and holds my phone so I can see it. I have the problem that if it's in my pocket I can't get to it in time and if I have it on the seat I often can't tell if it's ringing. Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

3. macrumors regular

marcfogel

http://www.proclipusa.com

4. macrumors 65816

Randman

I have a Kensington car mount that I bought at an Apple store and it has done everything it should.

5. macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I'm using this plus a Griffin iTrip Autopilot found here.

6. macrumors 65816

currently you have two options

a) expensive made for iphone 3g car holders ( proclip

b) generic holders ( pep boy ebay, etc)

I've been talking to a company about producing a cheaper version of a pro clip like solution

... its been months and so far nothing :(

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors newbie

Well i ended up going for the kensington car mount from the apple store and it works a treat :)

thanks for the recommendations.

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors regular

In case anyone else checks this thread out (in need of a recommendation), I purchased the Proclip and It's exactly what I was looking for. As one of the other posters mentioned, it's relatively expensive, but it's solid, fits your car very well, and fits your phone almost perfectly. It's been a couple of months since I purchased it, and I'm just very pleased with it.

11. macrumors 65816

12. macrumors member

13. macrumors 65816

DLO Ventmount users

Soooooo, does anyone have any real world use reports on DLO Ventmount for 3G? Long term use reports or review would be nice.

14. macrumors 6502

I have it. It works well and I run a stereo cable to my aux-in. What I hate is that this still will not let me use it as a phone. I can hear the other person through the speakers, but they can't hear me. The speaker is too weak for speakerphone.

15. macrumors 6502a

neesh0

16. macrumors 65816

Hmm, I use a BT headset. Since I go to CA a lot, its law now to use BT. I'm used to using the BT all the time anyway. That should still work.

Anyhoooo, I'm ordering it. I've finally worn out my Neo and need a new case, but I really like the idea of mounting it on the car vent. So that I can use the map/gps. My new dilemma is, if this works out great, is that I'll have to look for a new easy to remove case, so that I can quickly mount it on the DLO.

Or go neked... scary thought.

17. macrumors 65816

18. macrumors 65816

I'm sorry but I don't trust my iphone on a clip or a suction cup, I need a much more solid connection

I have had my ram mount in my car for months, and love it

http://www.ram-mount.com/mount/iphone_3g_mount.htm

you will need to drill screws into your dash, so choose the spot wisely.

19. macrumors newbie

20. macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link! I guess since this is an older thread, the link was outdated as well, but it redirected me to their new Slim Grip Ultra mount: http://www.arkon.com/Slim-Grip Ultra/index.html - a ton of mounting options :) Plus this phone holder is universal for any smartphone (of course iPhone) and even iPad mini.

21. macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

22. macrumors newbie

I've been using the Kensington Car Mount also, works like a charm! I usually have it attached to one of my vents rather than the windsheild.

23. macrumors newbie

I don't know with air vent mounts, imagine going over speed bump or pothole on the road? This thing will go straight to the car floor, nose dive lol!!! I was actually looking further, and this one is kind of similar to Kenu but looks more secure with a sticky get base and even tripod mounting option (that universal screw connection) - http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Windshield-Dashboard-Suction-Smartphones/dp/B00I58VAZS/

24. macrumors 6502a

HowEver

Air vent mount? No.

^Not only that, but you will have (at least in Canada and environs) hot air blasting at your phone. Terrible idea.

25. macrumors 6502a

Having use a Kenu for for the last several months, I would say that the chance of your phone bouncing off it is probably nil, unless you crash. The thing is probably the most well engineer iPhone accessory out there: stainless with nice rubber grip and smooth spring action that remind me of a couple of miniature pistons.

I am not so crazy about air vent mount as it block an air vent in principle. But compare to the alternative it's not bad. I never went for another mount because they all look too clunky to me and they stay there even when you don't need them. With the Kenu I can remove it in a second, and it look really nice and small so other than its blocking the air vent I don't mind it being there.

I am considering modifying it to attach it to my dashboard permanently.