Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
A great resource for wedding photography is FM.

As far as adding a watermark, I searched within A3, and this is what I found..
Screen%20shot%202011-01-07%20at%203.01.34%20PM.png

Lightroom and Aperture, and even Photoshop, are all different. Asking a general question such as which one is better is like asking what focal length is the best.

They are all tools with their pros and cons. People have amazing workflows with each program. I am lucky enough to have CS4 Master Collection and Aperture 3. I use Aperture 3 WITH CS4.

Like others' have suggested, download the trials of both. I like how Aperture manages the libraries! There are great books on both programs. I like "Peach Pits Aperture 3" book. They now carry it at the Apple Store.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
... Ever since we got married (a few months ago) she has REALLY been into weddings. ... She has always liked/done art since she was little but took business in college. She really wants to try to do something that uses her artistic side. Enter photography.

So she currently is a stay-at-home wife, but she is taking up photography basically from zero knowledge, just enthusiasm. She understands that it will take a while to learn the business and actually start making money from it. So the plan is for her to get a job now while she takes photography classes, fine tunes her skills, and builds her portfolio. The hope is to one day drop the other job and solely have her photography business.

OK. Keep in mind this is strictly IMHO, and without knowing your wife's work, or her personality. So this opinion may be worth exactly what you paid for it.... :)

First of all, go back up and read Vantage Point's post about Event Photography. Second of all, if your hasn't been reading this thread over your shoulder, bring her into this discussion. This is her future we are discussing.

I believe that wedding photography is the wrong place to start - for anyone just getting into the business. It is an extremely stressful job. The photographer has just one chance to get "The Most Important Day In Our Live's" perfect. There are no 2nd chances. Mess up a shot, Mess up their lives (at least that's what they'll tell you...) Plus, the client's are not on their best behaviour. They're stressed and tired, the bride hasn't eaten since the night before, the groom may be nursing a hang-over, and the two mothers both think they're in charge. Of everything. Including who get's into which formal shots. And Uncle Hank, who once swept the floor at the photo studio in Ottumwa is leaning into all the shots to get the same angle on his P&S. His theory being that if he can get the shot, then the Bride and Groom can save some money by using his pictures instead of paying you.

As important as the photography is, it's not the most important skill set here.... it's the circus management that makes or breaks a good wedding photographer. And the photography skills have to be so well learned and ingrained that they can continue to shoot great shots, while getting the elephants and lions to jump through their hoops.

I don't shoot weddings, I know wedding photographers (We've been shot by a great wedding photographer). I have a huge amount of respect for them.

My suggestion is to start with portraits. Really good portraits can be done with very basic equipment and skills. A good lense that runs 90mm to 110mm, a couple of basic reflectors and a good window are all that's needed to get started. And a background. That can be pure white or pure black at it's simplest. It's not going to be a versatile set up, but it's a good way to start working with people, getting to know how to photograph people, and the simplicity allows the photographer to focus (pun!) their attention on the client.

Within a few weeks or months your wife can graduate from "free, portfolio building shots" to being paid. It's important to let the first few free clients understand that this is a time limited offer. I suggest that the friend get a single 8x10 in exchange for their time. If they want more prints, they pay for them. Work out the price ahead of time, so that your wife's answer to "How much if I want more copies?" is not.... "I still need to work that out." It is very difficult to come up with a price after the fact. It's tempting to want to give the extra prints away ... they're a friend after all.

As she starts to make some money at the portraiture business, the funds can be used to upgrade the equipment (see Vantage Point's post above.) Her set up will get more sophisticated, and more complex. All of the skills she is learning, and the equipment she is buying, will translate into wedding photography. If she still wants to go there.

At some point she will qualify as a "business" and some of the expenses can then be used to offset taxes.

The links below show some great examples of very simple portraits that I think are very good.

Eric Klemm travelled North America, photographing First Nation's People, using a white sheet as a background, outside light (no flash) and - well a very nice camera, but it was film and he wanted the ability to go big (Really Big). Any basic DSLR is more than capable for the average client. See Silent Warriors on his website (link above).

Richard Avedon made a whole career with white backgrounds. Just google his name. I think he also used flashes, but it was a basic set up.

Lloyd Erlick, though he doesn't seem to be active at the moment (the website is, though) shoots the vast majority of his portraits against a black/grey background and uses a window for light - no flash at all. I love his portraits. He also used a basic, film camera. No AF, etc

I'm not suggesting that your wife adopt one of these styles, just saying that very good portraits can be done with very minimal equipment.

I tell my students that Portraiture is both the easiest and the most difficult kind of photography. Easiest because it requires the least amount of technical competency. You've got to be good... but it doesn't have to be complicated.

It's the most difficult because you're dealing with people, and some photographers don't do people.

When I was more active as a commercial photographer, I did catalogue work (objects shot on a table-top set up), and portraits. I could work all day on a catalogue project, and come home tired. Very tired some days. I loved doing portraiture, loved the minimalist look (see links above), and would be exhausted after a 2 or 3 hour session.

Hope some of this is at least partly helpful to your wife.....

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Now that is the best advice I have seen. I cannot imagine very many couples wanting to hire a beginning wedding photographer for the event of their life. If mistakes are made, the pictures cannot be taken again.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Aperture 3

Well, I made a number of earlier comments about the software as I am a photographer and use Photoshop and Bridge. I said both Lightroom and Aperture are good choices but I didn't own either but considered Aperture easier to learn for someone new to all this.

Anyway, with the new incredible price of Aperture I downloaded the trial to play with for a few days. Bottom line, I just bought it and can highly recommend it. I knew that eventually I would invest in either Lightroom or Aperture and I never warmed up to the LR interface. There are strong arguments for either and both work. FWIW my decision was not about price but that didn't hurt. It was and should be about what works for you. I also bought a reference book, Apple 3 the Portable Genius, which is less about how to edit (which I know) and more about mastering the organizational tools. you can download the first chapter of that book to read for free with the free Kindle for Mac App. The book offers a few good arguments for LR vs Aperture in the first and free chapter.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i'm not sure how much this has been addressed, but in your first post you mentioned using a PC. if that is the case, Aperture isn't going to work for you since it is mac only.

Lightroom would be the best option (if she is going to be shooting in RAW - that also hasn't been discussed yet). Lightroom has solid photo management (library, tags, collections, ect.) for organizing the pictures and the development tools for getting the best out of the photographs. (Aperture does all this as well, but again, mac only.)

Photoshop would only be needed for more advanced editing like taking people out of pictures or heavy use of HDR or adding layers of text.

i am a longtime Photoshop user, but i just recently started shooting RAW and am using Lightroom for photo processing. i would only recommend the Photoshop/Bridge option if you already had the software and the cost/learning curve of new software was an issue.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Well, I made a number of earlier comments about the software as I am a photographer and use Photoshop and Bridge. I said both Lightroom and Aperture are good choices but I didn't own either but considered Aperture easier to learn for someone new to all this.

Anyway, with the new incredible price of Aperture I downloaded the trial to play with for a few days. Bottom line, I just bought it and can highly recommend it. I knew that eventually I would invest in either Lightroom or Aperture and I never warmed up to the LR interface. There are strong arguments for either and both work. FWIW my decision was not about price but that didn't hurt. It was and should be about what works for you. I also bought a reference book, Apple 3 the Portable Genius, which is less about how to edit (which I know) and more about mastering the organizational tools. you can download the first chapter of that book to read for free with the free Kindle for Mac App. The book offers a few good arguments for LR vs Aperture in the first and free chapter.

Thanks for the update. That is good to know.

i'm not sure how much this has been addressed, but in your first post you mentioned using a PC. if that is the case, Aperture isn't going to work for you since it is mac only.

Sorry if that was confusing. It was meant to be assumed that I was talking about software for a Mac (since this is the Mac applications section), so I was simply adding the info at the end that my wife actually still has a PC in case there were some better solutions for the PC only crowd.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
i see. well, cross platform abilities ranked high for me even though i primarily use a mac. my fiancee has a PC laptop that would get enough use when traveling to make it a factor.

redbroccoli

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2010
I know this isn't mentioned by the OP, but shouldn't PhaseOne's CaptureOne Pro also be considered?
I thought many photographers also used this tool to "develop" their RAW images.
Or is it just for the medium format cameras?

DenisK

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
It all depends on how "aspiring" you are. Some people are happy with iPhoto, even in its latest reincarnation (which, God knows, is a horrible, shameless peace of junk, even compared to what it "updated/upgraded"). Having said that, I use Lightroom and what I can say is that you have to rely on other things for various other needs (Aperture or iPhot for templates for books/email/cards other crap), PS for "content aware" editing, and so forth. As a catalogue and and an advanced editor on top, there is nothing out there that beats LR3.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I know this isn't mentioned by the OP, but shouldn't PhaseOne's CaptureOne Pro also be considered?
I thought many photographers also used this tool to "develop" their RAW images.
Or is it just for the medium format cameras?

No, PhaseOne works with many DSLRs. There is free version if you buy the PhaseOne digital back (roughly medium format sized), and you can buy the Pro version for the non-PhaseOne cameras.

I've got the P1 software package, and it has more RAW conversion controls than LR.... but I don't like it for organizing files. I'm still trying to work out the workflow.

Mad Mac Maniac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Let me start of by once again thanking everyone who has been so very helpful on here!

I am reporting to say that my wife is currently giving lightroom a test drive followed by aperture.

I also had an additional question regarding aperture. Does anyone here use the photo albums on Aperture to create professional quality products? Does it result in... professional quality products? haha. This would be a huge pro for aperture because for weddings we would need to have some way to build photo albums. and does either lightroom or photoshop create the ability to build photo albums?

Also, can the photo's in aperture or lightroom easily sync to view on an iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.