Best Place for DVD-R disc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slu, Oct 7, 2004.

1. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Hello all.

I am looking for the best place to buy DVD-R discs to use in my new iMac G5.

I have no experience with DVD-R discs and am looking for a place to buy inexpensive, but reliable, blank media.

So, what is best for Apple (or whoever makes them) Superdrives?

I don't care about inkjet discs or anything like that...just the standard blanks.

Thanks,
    Slu

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i've been getting mine from rima.com
    4x Princo blanks, they work for me, though some people seem to hate them.

www.dvdrhelp.com has a good list of different media, reader reports on them and where/$$.

3. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Before buying any media, or anything really, i check dealmac.com for what ends up being pretty consistantly the lowest prices available.

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

5. kbonnel macrumors 6502

newegg.com is where I buy everything (including my DVD-Rs)

Kimo

6. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

The best dead i've found are found here:

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2422&cata=&s_cata=

You can get a 100 pack for $23 shipped free. Also don't be fooled by the speed. The website lists them as 1x-2x, but in reality these are 4x discs and burn just fine at 4x on my eMac. The discs also look great with a smooth white finish which is great for writing on. I'd recommend these for anyone!

7. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

My Fav pics

Meritline.com DVD-R ( Ritek brand - good results in newer and older superdrives - also carry double sided DVD-R Discs )

Allmediaoutlet.com DVD-R ( Princo brand ( ok results in a newer superdrive ) )

Sam's Club for Verbatum DVD-R ( excellent brand, excellent deal )

Amazon.com for Verbatum and TDK DVD-RW discs - excellent results.

My burners are an old Pioneer DVR-A03, and a DVR-A05 in an external FireWire case.

The A05 is an excellent burner, and an older version of some of the superdrives. The G5 PM ships with a Pioneer DVR-A07 or DVR-A08.

Hope this helps..

Max.

8. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Being I make paintball DVD's for local stores of events I have had the best bet total compatability with RITEK 4X DVD-R

I've burned them at 6x and 8x and the ONLY issues I've ever run into was that in some old old home players (pre-recordable disc era) they didn't read right, but I've never had a coaster and every single one I've made played in my home player, my computer, PS2 and everyone elses players but 2 people with 1997 or older DVD.