Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
I'm going to buy a 20" Core Duo iMac soonish (from PC World) and I want to upgrade the ram.. unfortunately they don't stock the correct RAM right now :(

I usually buy my RAM from Crucial but the price they want for a 1GB SODIMM for the new iMac? approx $218.75. no. especially when I look at the US prices on dealram etc. and it's half that price.

So, I'm looking for the best place in the UK for this kinda stuff.

Anyone got any suggestions?

groovebiscuit

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
Scotland
Import

I looked around in the UK as well but couldn't find much that was either in stock or at a price I was willing to pay.

In the end I went to macsales.com and ordered from them, they do international shipping so if you have access to a credit card a US supplier might be the best option.

Cost me £80 delivered. Much better than what crucial were charging at the time which was £125 (and they had 0 stock).

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
Hmm, it seems PC World Business can source what I need for roughly £80-90ish, I may just go for that purely for the ease of return if it's bad ram.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
tek said:
Hmm, it seems PC World Business can source what I need for roughly £80-90ish, I may just go for that purely for the ease of return if it's bad ram.

But it comes with bugger all warranty (12 months i think) and it wont be bad ram from orca - if on the of change it is then just whack it in the post... plus PC world is the worst store ever and are Mac haters :)

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
BakedBeans said:
But it comes with bugger all warranty (12 months i think) and it wont be bad ram from orca - if on the of change it is then just whack it in the post... plus PC world is the worst store ever and are Mac haters :)

Well, I work there so I shouldn't have any trouble if anything goes wrong ;)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
indiekiduk said:
Don't buy your mac from PC World. If you get it from apple.co.uk you can get a 1GB stick in your imac for only £60 which is a total bargain.

Not sure where you got £60 from as I'm seeing it as £70.01 at the UK Apple Store. Also this means you'd only get 1GB RAM in total, whereas I think these guys are talking about purchasing an additional 1GB RAM stick.

Wow, Crucial does seem to be fairly pricey at the moment for the Intel-compatible RAM. Looks as though the prices have dropped nicely for the older models now, compared to 3 months ago. I paid just over £90 for an extra 1GB for my Rev B iMac and it's now £65 :eek:

tek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
BakedBeans said:
Oh dear - a PC worlder - is your stock of mac software still hidden and confined to half a shelf :p

Are your macs filthy and uncared for? like most places ;)

They aren't filthy and uncared for.. by the staff anyway. The customers on the other hand.. got a new intel iMac and within 2 days there was a big chink in the screen about 1" long making it almost unsellable.

We do only have one part of an aisle for mac stuff, but we have final cut, MS Office, Tiger, Panther (10 quid!), the norton crap, disk warrior, a few games etc. etc.

plus £569 gets you a mac mini, 17" TFT monitor, mighty mouse and keyboard.. not bad i'd say.

Antiquote

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2005
Slightly old topic, but meh.

As a loyal (ahem) PC World member of staff who is devoted (cough) to selling high standard PCS (chortle) to thoes who need them, it gives me great pride to wander around the store most weekends with the apple remote in my pocket, constantly wowing people as it magically fades to black.

I've converted 3 people this last week.... Now if only I can wait for the isight g5's to be pla'ed, got a Rev.a g5 imac for £180 before christmas, complete with mouse, keyboard, box, tiger... Love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.