Best Place In The World To Live? Your dream...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by njmac, Feb 6, 2006.

1. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Where do you think the best place to live would be?

Feel free to talk about where you live now if you think its great.

I know there are many factors in picking an ideal place to be: climate, goverment, jobs, culture, diversity, ocean/mountain/lake/city, people, family, schools etc, but I was just wondering where you guys/gals would consider The Best Place to Live.

I have a few ideals, one being the Amalfi Coast of Italy, and my other dream place would be one by the sea, in a small town (but with in 2 hours of a major city) where there is still a natural environment for my kids to play with a bustling town to have lunch/dinner and entertainment. I'm thinking Massachusetts or Rhode Island, or South Carolina.

[​IMG]

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i miss los angeles like no one would believe (it's just "home" to me) but i wouldn't say it's the best per se. honestly i think maybe i'd like living in London, however it's a bit far-fetched.

i dunno, i change my mind a lot so picking a place to live [and stay there] is difficult at best. i might choose hawaii, if i could still switch islands occasionally. :p

tough question (for me anyway) a lot of things to like about a lot of places.

EDIT: Just over a year later; I live in London. How strange to see this post.

3. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

A small uncharted island with broadband.

Somewhere warm all year round, and free of natural disasters.
    I'd prefer a large hidden stash of rum somewhere on the island.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

beach, ocean, water, warmth...

We have kids, so we always think we might move to better our quality of life. The schools in our area are not the best, pretty close to worst. Small town, no entertainment, etc, etc.

5. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

You bring up a really great point. Home most certainly can be the best place on earth, even if it isn't perfect!

I know New Jersey gets poked fun of a lot, but this is where I grew up, my family is still here, and I would miss it to death if I left.

Aside from job-related reasons, I would bet that "family" and "where I grew up" would be the biggest reason people stay where they are and are usually pretty happy.

6. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have three places I would love to live. One being NYC. Something about it just makes me love that place. The fact that they have everything and more. The night life is great. Most people outside of NYC hate it but I have loved it since I was 5.

The other place would be anywhere were there is water to swim in (lake, ocean, etc.) I love the water and having waterfront property is a dream for me.

The third would have to be Seattle or a surrounding city. I grew up in the Northwest and love it there, all the green and mountains. Its home for me like LA is to iBlue

The three places are very different but I would be happy at any of them.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

8. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

The nice thing about NYC though, is it is an island! There are beaches just a subway ride away. Long Island has some fantastic beaches - some crowded, some posh (Hamptons), some remote (Montauk)

.... And there's always day trips to the Jersey Shore!

9. DrEasy macrumors member

Stockholm... City of civilized, good-looking, healthy and most importantly open-minded people, in a country with a great social system (healthcare, education). A city that has a history yet is not falling apart (London, Paris, I'm looking at you!).

My close second choice would be Barcelona.

10. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

i would have to say Africa..anywhere in Africa. Preferably in the South, perhaps South Africa(Cape Town). It has everything, WARMTH, civilization, Nature, friendly people and culture.
    Of-course i am saying this cos i lived there once. But I guess Italy would also be groovy.

11. vniow macrumors G4

Location is less important, if we're talking about the future here, the best place for me to live at would be at home with my wife and kid(s).

12. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

I really like the people and pace of life in Ireland, but it is just as cold and wet as most of the UK.

The only place I'd consider in the US is New England. I spent a couple of weeks in Burlington Vermont - lovely place. But they have snow on the ground 4 months of the year and it is cold 8 months of the year.

Canada seems very nice, although I have never visited. Also cold.

Perhaps Austrialia or (more likely) New Zealand. Thing is, if you are serious about moving, I guess you need to really do your research abould weather, culture and social system. I know very little about both New Zealand and Australia.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

If I was independently wealthy, I'd move to the Florida Keys. The only downside, I'd imagine, is the school system. Given that the Keys are primarily a tourist-driven locale, with local population being fairly small, I'd think the school services may be limited. If not, then, fantastic. If so, I'd get tutors.

14. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Well said. Anywhere my family is, is home to me.
    I live in Maryland, which has a wide variety of scenery (urban, country, mountains, ocean, and the Bay (mmmm...crabs) to appeal to anyone's taste, and all within a short drive. Plus, it runs the gamut for weather. All in all, it's a nice place to live. Except when it's got 99% humidity in July and August. Then it sucks.

OTOH, Positano, Italy looks kinda swell, too.

15. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

thinking about it......

I'd like a ski house in Wyoming :)

A summer beach house on Cape Cod :) a winter beach house in the Florida Keys....

A villa in Italy :)

A light house in Maine :)

A ranch in Texas :)

and for good measure..... a flat in London :)

All while making my main home in NJ, close to friends and family :)

16. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would like to live debt free for the rest of my life , so i can get on with the things i want to do , not the things other people tell me to do :)

big house , loads of space maybe near the pacific ocean ? mmmm:cool:

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

you make a valid point my friend and it is another reason why NYC is great.

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

19. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Might sound kind of strange, but I really like Indianapolis. Kind of out of the way, but still in the middle of everything. Really easy city to drive. And tough to beat if you are a sports fan - NBA, NFL, Minor League Baseball, Minor League Hocky, WNBA, and motor sports (NASCAR, IRL, NTPA, NHRA).

20. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

It's kind of funny how your pic of Monterey looks like my picture of the Italian Amalfi Coast!

21. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Bellagio, Lake Como, Italy :)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. njmac thread starter macrumors 68000

njmac

I'm so glad you posted that! I was going to study abroad there in college. I dreamed every night about what is was going to be like. I never did it. I didn't think I could afford it among other things. I shouldn't have let it stop me.

Thanks for the post and the reminder :) It looks awesome there.

23. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

New England... Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine... in a small town like the one I'm in now, where I can live a quiet and peaceful life.

A proper saltbox house would be a plus. :p

24. iGary Guest

iGary

I thought the same thing when I posted it.

I love it there. So much.