Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Close to my family and friends. They are also great places to live.

Kilmore (a very quiet rural village, an hour from Melbourne - Australia)

Leeds UK - the dales, the moors, Manchester, and the coast all within an hour or so (and full of great Yorkshire people), two and a half hours by train to London Kings Cross, three and a half hours to Edinburgh

Whakatane New Zealand - a rural town on the coast - great weather, pretty, clean, within an hour of the spectacular East Cape area, and within a couple of hours of Taupo and Auckland

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
If i could pick one place to live it would be out in the middle of BFE. I dont like the city and could never see myself living there perminantly. I shudder to think i have to live in columbus while i go to college.

I would just like to build my house out in the middle of nowhere on a lake shore. I was in Maine a whiel back and i truely enjoyed the place. If i could build a house with a view of a lake/ocean that would be the ultimate place for me.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Best place I've ever seen was Mull. its a wee island near scotland. like it wanted to be part of the mainland but was too late. beautiful island. about 1500 people live there and its huge. my kind of place. I said to my uncle that you could be a murderer but you could build a log cabin and eat rabbits forever on Mull. so long as you lived deep in the forest like.

better still theres an island just off the big island called Iona. theres a beach somewhere there called "Bay at the back of the ocean". its white sand and just stunning. love a small warm cabin there, next to the beach. no internet. barely get TV. my vision of paradise.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
prostuff1 said:
If i could pick one place to live it would be out in the middle of BFE. I dont like the city and could never see myself living there perminantly. I shudder to think i have to live in columbus while i go to college.

I would just like to build my house out in the middle of nowhere on a lake shore. I was in Maine a whiel back and i truely enjoyed the place. If i could build a house with a view of a lake/ocean that would be the ultimate place for me.

I thought the exact same way.... until I had kids. Suddenly my thoughts of solitude turned into thoughts of a community where my children would feel part of, with family around us, plenty of space but with the added bonus of the kinds of services and social aspects that are important (to me) to have my children experience.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Vancouver, BC

I live in my dream place...

Although, the rain has made me question that dream, but it's sunny again so all is well.

Vancouver is always top 3 or 5 best cities in the world to live according to those polls...made by those poll makers....

beach
Mountain
Skiing
Good herb
Insanely hot girls
night life

as long as your not trying to own property...it's the place to be...

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
iGary said:
I thought the same thing when I posted it.

I love it there. So much.

I think I may have to make a trip out there to check it out myself :)

Looks like my kind of place....

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Switzerland, and that is because it have the best health care for women in the world. I am not getting any younger and I require the best health care that I can or cannot afford. Plus I can always head to the Alps. ;) :D

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I like the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas myself, or perhaps some place in Hawaii. I HATE the cold weather.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Preferrable some place without too much sun and without the need for airconditioners in the summer. A proper winter with snow would be nice too. Norway doesn't sound bad for me, actually. :)

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....I live in a great place - Victoria, BC, Canada...I love it here, it's a beautiful smaller city. But there are other places I love too - Switzerland especially, so many nice places in that country - I am especially fond of Luzern and Basel (where my friends live). New Zealand is also high on my list.....oh yeah!

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
pseudobrit said:
Montréal for city life

Too true.

In the US, Austin (where I now live) is pretty good - so are Seattle, Portland, Minneapolis, Chicago and Madison - all as far as city life goes, while still being laid back.

It's all eye-of-the-beholder with "best place..." lists, though.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
njmac said:
thinking about it......

A light house in Maine :)

Just what I was thinking, minus the lighthouse. Would love to live on the coast of Maine ...

maine_coast.jpg

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
njmac said:
I'm so glad you posted that! I was going to study abroad there in college. I dreamed every night about what is was going to be like. I never did it. I didn't think I could afford it among other things. I shouldn't have let it stop me.

Thanks for the post and the reminder :) It looks awesome there.

Its amazing! I love it there. You feel like your in the middle of no where! Also, my brother said that they saw a house that was shot in Star Wars, (I forgot which one) there. Sadly, I missed out. I was sleeping. :( If you ever go there, I would recomend the Hotel Du Lac. Unless you want to stay in the 5 star hotel thats 800 euro a night. :rolleyes: :eek:

Edit:

Does this bring back any memories??? I guess it was Episdoe II (not a huge Star Wars fan)

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
emw said:
If I was independently wealthy, I'd move to the Florida Keys. The only downside, I'd imagine, is the school system. ....

Umm, and hurricanes too?

My choice, apart from Santa Barbara, CA where I just left because it's ridiculously expensive to buy a home (although lovely in all other respects), would be where I am now (Cote d'Azur in the south of France). The weather is great, the Alps are close by, health care is good, and we can always leave town when the tourists descend upon us. Granted, it's not much cheaper than SB, but I think the quality of life is better. Besides, it is beautiful here.

TitleBarPhoto.jpg

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
The most beautiful place I've been, and one of the few where I'd see me settle down, is a small island in French Polynesia, Fakarava. Actually, it's an atoll (that's a narrow ring of land, what remains of the crater of what once used to be a volcano). Land is quite cheap (according to what I'm used to), and Papeete is only 1 hour away by plane. Life is quite expensive, on the other hand, but if you don't live there for extended periods of time, you can fish. Actually, fishing is as easy as taking a speargun, and, staying on the surface, waiting for a fish to come in front of the spear. Then, you only have to pull the trigger and swim back to the shore... faster than the sharks.

To get an image of what my own personal paradise looks like, try to picture a 200 meter (220 yards) wide island, stretching for 30 km (18 miles) with, on the lagoon side (inner part of the ring) white sandy beaches, and warm, turquoise waters, and on the other side, THE OCEAN! The blue sea, corals, dolphins, sharks, 50 yards visibility...

RS40A.jpg

I miss this place... :(

David Doubilet, a National Geographic underwater photographer has been there, too, and he has established his residence, according to his website, in a small coastal town of South Africa, DeKelders... so it must be good too! :)

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
The most beautiful place I've been, and one of the few where I'd see me settle down, is a small island in French Polynesia, Fakarava.

Wow, that does look like paradise! I wouldn't mind spending a month or two there but I don't know if I'd want to live there... seems kind of isolated, but I bet I could get use to it ;) .

njmac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
i miss los angeles like no one would believe (it's just "home" to me) but i wouldn't say it's the best per se. honestly i think maybe i'd like living in London, however it's a bit far-fetched.

i dunno, i change my mind a lot so picking a place to live [and stay there] is difficult at best. i might choose hawaii, if i could still switch islands occasionally. :p

tough question (for me anyway) a lot of things to like about a lot of places.

EDIT: Just over a year later; I live in London. How strange to see this post.

haha... well, your living the dream :cool: How do you like living in London?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I still love tokyo and dream about living there again. I think next time though I'm going to find a place in Kanagawa or Yokohama and commute.

I think I'd like to retire in NW7 north London :D (seriously).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.