Best place to buy 700 iBook?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TypeR389, May 23, 2002.

1. TypeR389 macrumors member

Hey all, you have another PC convert in your midst. After doing some research, I think I am going to go out and get one of the new iBooks. I would love the power of a Ti, but I can't justify the increased price for it, as I really am not doing anything that is altivec enabled. (other than the os) Question is, where is the best place to buy? Looks like prices are pretty much regulated by apple, but should I get it through them, or go through a reseller? There is one shop locally that sells apples, which does not have any in stock. Ideas, anyone having specials people know of?
    Thanks a million, can't wait to get a mac, my last one didn't even have a hard drive!
    :D

2. mr.w macrumors regular

there are a few options:

www.store.apple.com (apple direct, it's always nice to buy directly from the company)

www.macmall.com
    www.macconnection.com

(both of these sites are good, like $5 cheaper then apple direct, but... you usually also get extra RAM, or an airport card, printer, carrying case, or things like that which will save you probably around $100 - $200)

or the most economical method is to use ebay. you may be able to find new ibooks for up to $200 dollors less then retail, but if you don't want to risk getting ripped off, I'd say stick to authorized apple dealers...

good luck

3. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

If you are eligible for an education discount (student, teacher, etc) or are looking for a BTO, definitely go with the online Apple store.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

www.smalldog.com has a few nice offers for Mac products. Some of them have a lower price than those at the Apple store, while others don't. My father sometimes orders packages from them. Although the customer service we get is average, the prices are rather accurate.

Fear the King.

5. TypeR389 thread starter macrumors member

I really don't see any difference, the stuff they are giving away is useless to me. I am thinking about maxing out the RAM on this machine right away, is it better to get the standard unit from apple and then just get a 512 DIMM from a decent company? I think this was save me a few $$$ and get me the machine quicker, no?

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

If you are going for extra memory from a third-party candidate, I suggest 1-800-4memory for cheap RAM. I am sure that there are other places to get RAM, but I did some research a while ago and very few compare to this website.

Just a note: Do not buy from MacWarehouse. My dad ordered RAM for my Firewire iBook, but we got the wrong memory shipped to us twice.

Fear the King.