Best place to buy a 17" MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wolvereen, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Wolvereen macrumors newbie

Hey all, hoping you might offer some opinions...

I am looking to pick up a 17" MacBook Pro relatively soon. I am a student, and checked prices in Apple's store. The discount gets me $200 off the price (same as my wife's Teacher discount btw). However, tax is higher than that, so its almost list when all is said and done.

Given that, it is actually slightly cheaper (by $50 or so) to order out of state (bandhphoto.com for example) where they don't charge tax.

I am also aware of the refurb Apple Store (which I have no problem with) but they are out of the 17" Core 2's for now.

Is there another good place to pick one up from? Something I am missing?

Also, worth waiting (in your opinons of course) for Leopard/Santa Rosa/LED screens?

Thanks all!!

2. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You might check out Amazon. They charge no sales tax in most states and offer free shipping. They're also an Apple authorized reseller. They currently have the 17" MacBook Pro for $2,649.99 after rebate. I've bought Macs from them before and have had good experiences each time.

3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

The refurb list on Apple's site changes daily pretty much. I am toying with the idea of getting a refurb MacBook to suppliment my iMac (I caught the Apple bug) and just recently they had some MacBook Core Duo's for $899 & $999 that arrived and sold out today.

Yesterday they had a couple more varieties of MacBook Pros that also went away.

Just keep an eye out and you will get a good deal. If you hurry, you more often than not pay too much. However, stay realistic about pricing. Rock bottom deals only come when the product is discontinued or when lightning strikes (figuratively).

4. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Amazon is a good choice if you dont need anything BTO. I have only heard good things about them, and though I have never bought a Mac through Amazon, all of my other transactions have gone good.

5. Negotiator74 macrumors newbie

Just bought mine from...

Try Mac Connection - they are an online authorized Apple reseller. They charge no sales tax and have rebates of $150 on the 17" MBP. I just bought one myself and had a great experience!!

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I bought a 17" MBP refurb, absoloutley love my machine. There will always be something better around the corner. You should get what you want, you cant go wrong with a macbook pro.

7. Wolvereen thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately Amazon charges tax in my state (California). I will check out MacConnection. Also looking at CompUSA. THey are a bit more expensive (retail) but they currently have 18 months no interest with equal payment....

Thanks all for your input!!

8. itsme92 Guest

Really? I live in the Bay Area, and Amazon has never charged me tax. :confused:

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Amazon only charges sales tax for customers in Kansas, Kentucky, North Dakota, and Washington. They do not charge sales tax for those in California or in any other states. That information comes straight from their website here.

Make sure when you purchase from Amazon that you don't select a 3rd party seller on the product page under "buying choices" or you may have to pay sales tax though. You must choose Amazon themselves (not J&R, CompUSA, etc). You also must choose Amazon in order to qualify for their rebates on Macs as well.

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The refurbs are updated just about every morning, except the weekend. AND, sometimes not on Mondays.

I stalked it for weeks. :D

So, check in the morning!!

You will love it - got my Edu 17" from the Apple Store last week :D

11. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

Sure North Dakota has to be one of four, just my luck. North Dakota also doesn't have Cingular service, so they won't let me purchase a plan. I want an iPhone.:mad:

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

North Dakota gets screwed all over the place. :eek: :p

13. neyoung macrumors member

I also bought my MacBook Pro from MacConnection.com. I saved a bunch of money, payed no tax, got free shipping, and a bunch of free stuff. I'd definitely recommend them.

14. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

If you don't have access to edu pricing then Apple refurbed all the way. Several of my machines have been refurbed and they are great.

15. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

16. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If I could go back in time I would buy it at a nearby retail store, even if hte price is slightly lower elsewhere. Reason is that it's a huge pain to return it to apple if theres something wrong with it.

17. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

If you have a comp usa you might want to try there. They are offering some nice close out prices.

18. Wolvereen thread starter macrumors newbie

Is that something that I would/could have access to?

19. Wolvereen thread starter macrumors newbie

I have both a Student Discount and a Teacher discount, but both are only $200 which is less than tax. As I said above, I can save more money by just buying out of state...

Regarding Amazon, I think I was thinking of a 3rd party retailer as Lancetx pointed out. Thanks!

MacConnections extras are real enticing (Parallels anyone). Wondering if I shoudl go for it now, or wait for April 15th and see if new MBP's are announced. The refurbs are real enticing though...

20. Wolvereen thread starter macrumors newbie

CompUSA in my town is staying open...

21. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Sign up as a student developer for $99. Then buy through Apple. Link. You will also get Leopard once it's released. At least this has been true in the past about receiving OSX.

Nuc