Best place to buy a Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nosaj72, Dec 26, 2002.

1. nosaj72 macrumors member

I'm thinking of buying my first Mac in 10 years (probably an 12" iBook), and was wondering where people suggest buying it from. Here are my options:

1. CompUSA.
    2. an independent Mac Reseller in town. (MacAuthority)
    3. Apple Web Site.
    4. Amazon.

Any thoughts on which one might be best?

Jason.

2. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Normally, I would say macmall, mac warehouse or similar. However, if Apple still has the double ram for $50, then that's the best deal. If it's over then go to the forementioned sites. The reason is CompUSA is stock configured machines with no extras, apple.com gives no freebies. So going to macmall, macwarehouse etc will get you free memory, free printer and maybe more and order before 10pm and it can be delivered the next morning via fed ex.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I bought mine from General Cybernetics. Their sales manager is a member here (backtothemac). I strongly suggest that you PM him or get ahold of him through their website.

As you probably know, Apple does a pretty good job with controlling the prices of their products. The real deals are in all the extras, shipping, etc... I compared what I got with several other dealers, and I got a very good deal.

Trust me, it's worth the time to give Chuck (BTTM) a call.

http://www.generalcybernetics.com/apple.html

or call...

(205) 345-2600 Extension 2060 and ask for Chuck.

Be sure to tell him how you found them (macrumors!)

4. BubbaTAC macrumors member

try Powermax

I haven't yet bought mine (waiting until after the 7th on the off chance of blue tooth for no more money ;) ) but I've talked to the Powermax people, and they seem pretty cool. Big bonus there is that they are from Oregon, so you don't pay sales tax. I'm not sure where you are from, but in NorCal, the 8.25% tax on a 1.2k computer is quite a hefty sum and far overshadows what you would pay in shipping

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Don't forget the sales tax, though. The Apple online store will still charge sales tax because Apple has operations in all 50 states. Resellers, on the other hand, usually only charge sales tax in the state that they are based in. I bought my iBook from ClubMac.com, and they threw in an extra 256MB of RAM for a $40 installation charge, and also threw in an Epson Ink Jet printer free after rebates. Total cost: $1334. This is a far better deal than you could get from the Apple site. And in my experience, 384MB is more than enough to run 10.2. Shop around at the resellers, though, since a couple weeks ago ClubMac.com was offering an additional instant rebate (I think it was for $30 or $40). ClubMac is no longer offering the instant rebate, but maybe another reseller is....

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks for the kind words mcrain. It means a lot when customers stand up for us.

Everyone, if you would like a quote, just email me. applesales@generalcybernetics.com

Thanks,
    B2TM

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

As opposed to some other unnamed resellers where the customers have to bend over... :eek:

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have heard a good word about general cybernetics

many places are probably better than buying from apple directly:p

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I second GC

i used to order through SmallDog, but they have screwed up a few of my recent orders. Go through General Cybernetics . Chuck and his guys are fantastic. Bought my iBook from them a couple of weeks ago, and it arrived even sooner than I thought it would. Got free RAM to boot!

Regards,
    Gus

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I cant stress to you how much you should support an independent reseller. My parents own an apple dealer and its a really hard world now to compete in. the only reason we have survived is because best buy and circuit city and those places dont sell macs. we are the only place in our state that sells macs. sure we get the people coming in to our store waving the macwarehouse magizine which are willing to give free stuff out of the wazoo. trust me, if we could give away free stuff we would but we just cant do that financially. although we can do a very good job matching mail order, but sometimes some deals just cant be made. they can buy in bulk and offer fantastic deals. one thing i always tell my customer before they walk out of the door with a mac catalog in their hand, i tell them we may not be able to completly match that magizine with prices, but there is no way that magizine can match our support. it all depends if when your computer breaks if you wanna come to a real human and have your computer looked at by someone that can call you back that same day or sending off your mac to mac warehouse in who knows where. i urge you to support an independent reseller. apple still gets a sale, and a reseller gets a sale, plus you have the comfort of knowing you will be backed up by some great support (unless their is a crappy reseller in your area, which we arent :) ) i hope you take what i said into consideration and everyone else on the forum take it into consideration.

iJon

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've bought several things through General Cybernetics and have been very happy with it all. You can't go wrong with using b2tm. You should at least talk to him to see what sort of price he can get you - its worth it.

D :D

12. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Wow, Gus, Duke, Jef, mcrain, everyone. I am very thankful for the kind words that you say. It really does validate the hard work that I have been doing.

Thanks for all of the support.
    Chuck

13. Glial macrumors member

That's great news, I was considering them but couldn't find them on reseller ratings.

They do seem to have the best deals without the hype.

Thanks for the tip.

14. Glial macrumors member

Hi Chuck, I'll be getting in touch with you toward the end of the month for a new iBook.

Thanks.

From a Louisiana to Alabama neighbor!

15. Glial macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks guys for the tip, I'm ordering my iBook from Chuck tomorrow!

16. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thanks everyone! It really means a lot for me that you all have supported me the way that you have.

17. Glial macrumors member

Got my iBook in today! I love it, thanks again Chuck!

Tom

18. Pablo macrumors regular

Can other resellers (CompUSA or some of the others listed in this thread) offer the same promotions (Educational discount and $300 purchase of Office X if made at the same time) that Apple does in it's on-line and brick & mortar stores?

That's quite a difference to me (~$600) for me.

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hell yeah we can, and its not a mail in rebate either, 300 off right then. you should really support an independent reseller, read my post above to view my thoughts. you buy from a reseller, apple gets a little money, the wholesaler gets a little money, the reseller gets a little money, and everyone goes home happy and you get the best service and support from a reseller. Plus resellers do a good job of matching mail order promotions, just gotta sit down and talk to them.

iJon

20. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

The way I see it, one kind turn deserves another. You earned the praise, Chuck.

Regards,
    Gus

21. 3777 macrumors 6502

22. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Well, I've been happy with MacMall/ClubMac/PCMall (ordered my iBook from them), but I'll make my next purchase (hopefully a PowerMac or iMac sporting an IBM 970) from General Cybernetics. You just can't beat the service from a smaller company, as long as they can match the price (which in the Apple world resellers of any size always sell for about the same price)

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So you are saying that we can get our education discount without going throught the Apple Edu store or Apple directly?

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

b2tm is cool. :D

so how about a real big discount chuck? ;)

25. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I try. I cannot make the too big, though because I would be unemployed :)