Best place to buy a Mac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by yadmonkey, Sep 16, 2004.

1. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Just wondering where you all tend to get your Macs these days and I have a couple of questions along those lines.

1. Macmall.com and similar sites tend to offer free RAM. I know that OS 10.3 is extraordinarily picky about RAM, so can anyone comment on the reliability of free RAM from those places?

2. Anyone know of a place with good deals on a new powerbook or Apple display?

Thanks!

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Amazon.com has a $150 rebate on Powerbooks right now. Depending where you live, you may not have to pay sales tax, either.

3. yadmonkey thread starter macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Didn't you mean "thilly gooth"?!

Thanks both of you for the tips!

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Apple regulates the prices for the most part on ALL of its products so they're basically all the same price give or take a few dollars. The lowest you'll probably see a Mac computer will be no more than $10 under what Apple sells them for.

I would never buy from Apple unless you're doing a BTO (Built-to-Order) Mac with the features you want. If you're just buying the standard Mac, I would look toward MacConnection, MacMall, or CDW. MacMall has free RAM deals on all Mac Models, including the new iMac G5. All of these sites will also offer a free printer too. These sites don't require you to pay sales tax either unlike apple.com/store (at least here in NY).

I've gotten free RAM from both MacMall AND MacConnection and I've never had any problems with the free RAM. Its not always off brand RAM they give you. I've gotten good quality RAM before free with my computer. Edge I think it was, but this isn't always the case.

5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

however if you are a student buy through apple cause of the discounts... they are big.

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well its not ALWAYS a huge benefit. You still have to pay taxes on your Mac, and you still don't get any free RAM. So there's the $400 you just saved on your computer right there. Sometimes it is a benefit to go through the Educational Apple Online Store if the circumstances are correct.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its not FREE from the other retailers, you still pay have to pay and installation fee.

8. Hurricane Ditka macrumors newbie

I'm buying my Powerbook from the retail outlet of PC Mall in Torrance. Found a refurb 12" for an awesome price. Not eligible for the 'free' RAM, but I am for two 'free' printers (100% mail-in rebates) and they're giving me two $20 USB cables for the printers for $5 total and they're giving me $50 off AppleCare.

Sometimes it's better to order face-to-face just so you can see how much you can lowball them on stuff. They offer something you want, you hem and haw, and then they go, "Tell you what..." Voila! Instant discount! :D

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I like using the Educational Online via my local Apple Store. Just like have a personal relationship with the staff. Not have technical knowledge it is very beneficial and a feeling of comfort.