Best Place to Buy a Nintendo Wii?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xander562, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I thought that it was better placed here than the "Games" forum.

Aaaanyways, I just had my b-day a few days ago and have pretty much decided to buy a Wii. My problem is that everywhere i've checked they're either sold out, or only have ridiculously overpriced bundle packs. So does anyone know where (besides eBay) I could find a Wii? So far I've checked CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, GameStop, Target, Amazon.com -- They're like $110 overpriced :confused:, And almost all of the links in Froogle. Any help? :)

2. Trizzle74 macrumors newbie

Trizzle74

Call your local shops everyday and see if they have gotten any in. That is what I had to do. It only took me 2 days to find one.

3. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Just look in the ads, and when a store has the wii advertised they will probably have it. Also, stores tend to put them out on Sundays, although i got mine on a wednesday.

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Is the wii that good? My son loves the sports games- any of them.. He has the x-box 360, but the wii looks fun.. Is it worth it for a sports nut?

5. Mozze macrumors member

The next shipment of Wii's to come to the USA will be towards the end of the month. If your Lucky and your city has a toy's R us you should be able to pre release buy them

6. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I'd say yes. Wii sports is really fun and comes bundled with the system. I have played Madden 07 on the wii as well and it is a lot better than the 360 version (although the 360 version has better graphics)

7. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Xander562

See this is what I'm hoping for the Wii. I don't have an HDTV, so the uber-cool insane graphics doesn't really concern me as much as it used to. Right now I'm reverting back to old games simply for the quality gameplay, which is what I'm hoping for from the Wii.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Wii is well worth it...for me I found my first Wii by camping out for 10hrs plus, but that was launch day, so I knew what stores would be getting them.

For my 2nd and 3rd(which I only bought, then my friends paid me back for them) I walked into gamestop, and they got a shipment. My brother and each bought one. Its was pure luck.

I think the problem with getting one now it the store don't always knows, when or how many units they'll get. On launch day, you knew who would have them. Now its hit or miss. Everyonce in a while you'll get a report that story is holding a bunch for sale on the next Sunday.

9. jdiddy macrumors member

I walked into a Sam's Club on a Tuesday trying to buy some groceries, I walked out with 3 Wii's. Find out when Sam's or Costco gets their deliveries and get one their. The console is perfect for non HDTV users and families. Good luck!

10. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I'm hoping by my daughters June 13 Birthday it will be easy to get a Wii. Which is why the Feb 2 birthday one didn't get it (it will be a joint gift for them!).

I refuse to play the waiting game - heck, they just got their PS2 out after 2 years of non-use. But there is stuff in the Wii that will help DD with, she has some spatial processing issues and i think the 3d-ness of the controllers will really give her some help.

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Are Wii's seriously still that hard to come by?:eek:

12. heyisa macrumors member

heyisa

Sunday shipments

All I had to do was wait outside of a bestbuy one hour before opening on a sunday. Probably worth a try.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've still not seen one on a shelf anywhere but I'm guessing that will start to die down and by the end of April/beginning of May you'll probably find them fairly easily (of course I'm notoriously bad in my predictions). I lucked out when a co-worker's fiancé found some at a Target and another co-worker picked one up for me (I gave him a $20 finders fee). I can't imagine demand holding up for more than a month or two more, but of course I originally predicted that I could get one before X-mas without a problem (wrong), or that I would see them on shelves starting by the end of January or mid-February at the latest (once again wrong).

I'm not sure if my wife is glad I've got mine or not. On one hand I'd be getting more sleep if I didn't have it, but she did not like me hunting for one either. I think every time we go shopping and I check for the heck of it and see they are still sold out goes a little way towards the glad I have it side since hunting takes me away from home, but playing just plops me on the couch or has me standing next to it.

14. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

I find it amazing that you still cannot go into a shop and buy one of these off the shelf. Is it all because of ebay and Amazon sellers? It seems that as long as people buy from them the drought will go on. I find it an annoying phenomenon.

For those that live in the UK: http://www.wiipreorder.co.uk/

15. 2tallyAwesome macrumors regular

Wiis are impossible to find right now...They have sold something like 6 million systems since they launched, and Nintendo can't keep up.

Good luck!

16. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

Buying a Wii

Use an online tracker (a free one, there are several to be found, use Google), then, when a reputable store comes up as having a Wii in stock, order it. I got mine from Circuit City that way. It was the regular price and their delivery time was fast, also.

Gotta love a game console that has a warning to be careful of nearby objects and people when you play :). Seriously, because of the controller, I find that I get out of my chair and get really involved in the game, be it the Wii sports that comes with it, or a fight in Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Only if you have a BB in town :D

I'll worry about it more in May! LOL!! Besides - then they can just get it for Christmas next year!

18. durme10 macrumors newbie

19. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

20. RCGMac macrumors regular

I got my last May middle of the week at a Gamestop, I asked the guy if they had any in and he acted like it wasn't a big deal. I paid retail price for mine. Absoultely love it. I love the ability to play my old Gamecube games as well as buy classic games from the Wii Store.

From what I have heard and seen, the demand tends to drop off late spring and early summer, before picking back up in September. I am suprised they are still so hard to come by, it has a lot to do with the price in my opinion as well as the pure fun factor.

21. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I got mine at Walmart. I called everyday to see if they recieved a shipment, when they did, I walked in that morning, picked one up, walked out. :) Actually no, I was broke, so I put it on layway for like 2 days. :) Then I got paid. Its a really cool machine, my niece and nephew were breaking a sweat trying to play the boxing, which is a little difficult to punch I guess you have to move a little slower. But definately worth $250.

22. mkaake macrumors 65816

I got tired of running to stores to check for them, so I looked on eBay and got lucky - I found an auction that was only 2 minutes old - the guy won it in an office contest, but didn't have time to play it. It had been out of the box once, and he threw it on eBay with a buy it now... between his buy-it-now price and shipping, I paid $3 more than what it would have cost me in a store with local sales tax. I figure for no more driving around, and having it show up at my door, it's worth it.

23. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Not that this will help most of you, but the Virgin Megastore in Downtown Disney at Disney World has several on a regular basis. It makes sense as most people don't go to Disney World looking to get a game console. However, they do go fast. Last year I went and my girlfriend and I were excited to see that they had three in stock. We went to pay and our credit card wouldn't go through (because of fraud protection, being out of state and all), so we went back two days later and the last one had just been purchased. Heh, serves us right for being too slow.:D

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I saw three at my local Target on the Saturday before Easter. I wasn't sure if my sister-in-law was still looking and by the time we had confirmed they were gone... admittedly it had been hours.

No one seemed that interested in them while I was there.