Best Place to Buy An Apple 20 Inch Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macbaseball, Apr 10, 2005.

1. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I recently remember reading a thread on where the best place is to buy an Apple 20 inch display. I searched the forum and couldn't find it. Could someone either answer my question or could they provide a link to the thread. Thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

New school or old school?

If you can get an edu discount, the Apple Store is a great place, although I recommend picking one up in person if you can. That way you can have them power it on and you can check for dead pixels.

3. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Alright. I was hoping for some sort of discount, from another store, because I don't think I qualify for edu pricing. (High school isn't included right) I guess I'll just go to my local Mac store, and see if they have one. I was considering getting a Dell 2005FPW, but my money is short. I have just enough for an Apple display, and I figure if Im willing to spend that much for a Dell, I might as well get an Apple display. Is there any chance of Apple coming out with new displays?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

If money is tight, why are you looking to spend $1000 for the Apple display when the Dell can be had for $500?

5. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Huh? For the price of the Apple you could almost have TWO Dell monitors....

6. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I'm in high school and I can spend what i have and then I'm out, because my income is low. I figure if I'm going to spend most of my money, why not just get the one that looks better, and I'm guarenteed not to have dead pixels. (I won't take it out of the store if it does). Plus I don't really want to give my money to Dell.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I still don't get it...the only thing I can understand is not wanting to give away your money to Dell. Get over it...they make great displays. Normally, Apple products are worth the price premium you pay for them. In this case, absolutely not, particularly for those for whom money is an issue. I can't believe you don't want an extra $500 in your pocket, or better yet, in a savings account.

8. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah it's pretty illogical from what I worte. I forgot one part, which doesn't make it a whole lot better, but it makes it make more sense. I sold a bunch of old junk lying around the house for about seven hundred bucks on eBay. When I sold it I thought I was just doing my Dad a favor. Now he's giving me some of it to go towards an Apple display. I was about to purchase a Dell display before he said that, but now I want an Apple. The attractive looks of an Apple makes me want it over the Dell, probably because the premium seems far less compared to most people. I don't know. My logical doesn't make any sense, but that's what I'm thinking.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Suit yourself...according to the MacRumors PriceGrabber site, your cheapest bet is ebuyer.com. They get pretty good ratings, charge no tax in California, and shipping is cheap ($7.75).

But if you're concerned about dead pixels and want to test it out before buying, I'd imagine the Apple Store is your best bet.

10. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I'd get the Dell and save $500, but if you're dead set on blowing $1000, buy the Dell and get some cool accessories, or an ipod. Or you could do the *cough* responsible thing and save the money, when you get out of high school an extra $500 will come in handy :)

allison.

11. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

After thinking about it, I'm going to get a Dell. Thanks for talking me into it. Now I got to figure out what kind of accessories to buy ...

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

if you can afford the Apple 20" Cinema Display, go for it. I have the same several days ago and it is a very high quality display. No dead pixel, very bright, color is very vibrant, easy to hook it up with your DVI eqipped Mac, elegant and sturdy design. I got it at CompUSA. There was no price different between at CompUSA and Apple Store.

13. wide macrumors 6502a

How about a Dell monitor and a Dell LCD TV 19 inch? it's high definition, and that would just about empty your pockets

14. macbaseball thread starter macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I think if I'm going ot empty my pockets, its going to be on an Apple.