best place to buy an ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soccerfan, Jul 2, 2004.

1. soccerfan macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    Any recommendations on where to buy it? I'm thinking I might want some BTO options (like a superdrive on the 14"), but I'm unsure.

Any great bundle deals with software or other things I should consider before buying directly from Apple?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    BTO you have to do thru apple
    i'd suggest you save the money and get a FW external dual layer DVD burner later on

if you just want the base models, amazon has 150 rebates on all of them and no tax or shipping that's where i'm going to get my 14" in a week or 2

3. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    hey! I got my 14inch iBook at
    They've got good deals and GREAT service...I was very pleased with them...definitely worth checking out.
    BTW, they can also do BTO!

I DEFINITELY second that! Especially if you're unsure of whether you want it right your money and get a faster external drive when you need it!
  4. soccerfan thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    Thanks for the responses...

I should have mentioned I'm a student (or will be shortly) - does that make a difference on recommended place of purchase?

On the DVD burner thing - I don't understand the technology that well - the dual layer increases storage capacity, correct? So I'm probably better off waiting for that to appear, rather than adding it with Apple? That's probably the only real reason I wanted to go through Apple.

Good 3rd party RAM is as good as apple, and cheaper as well, correct? (ie Crucial)
  5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    Make sure where ever you buy offers student discount, roughly 10%. It's probably best to buy from an online retailer in another state so you can avoid tax, Apple will charge tax no matter where you live.

Yeah, Dual Layer uses two recordable layers sandwiched one on top of the other, effectively doubling the storage capacity. You won't be able to get an internal drive installed by Apple after purchase and third party would void the warranty, so an external drive is the best option.

Yup, Apple tend to use Samsung RAM if I recall correctly, but over charge quite a bit. Crucial is probably the best place to buy cheap RAM, if you buy elsewhere make sure you buy a reputable brand.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I would wait a few more weeks and buy directly from

Last year they offered a $200 rebate when you bought and ipod and a laptop. If that would interest you then it might be something to wait for in terms of back to school Deals...

what do u mean by i'm gonna be a student, generally you are or you aren't a student ...?
  7. netytan macrumors 6502

May 23, 2004
    I got my 12" IBook with BT and updated HD from but this kinda requires you to be in Australia although if your planning a trip heres the place to by it since the exchange rate and low tax works very much in your favour.

The 12" IBook with the same options i got in the UK (where im from) would have come to £894 but i got it for £725 with a very nice looking Crumpler worth $89 on its own. Very good deal!

Which reminds me, it should be ariving in a few days :D.

8. soccerfan thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    When might I expect back to school deals to start? I don't really need or want an iPod so it'd have to be another type deal...

Coming back for a graduate degree after many years out of school. I actually start in Sept.