Best place to buy external HD in the UK?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jive, Aug 30, 2006.

1. jive macrumors 6502a

Anywhere other than ebuyer?

I'm looking for a 250Gb for back-ups.

2. AlmostThere macrumors 6502a

I have always used dabs.com, who have been quick, reliable and competitively priced.

3. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Dabs have really hiked their prices in recent years. I'm always surprised with Amazon. I've just bought a 320GB MyBook with Firewire for about £115 I think. The USB2.0 250GB is going for somewhere around £70-80 I think and free shipping of course.

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

scan.co.uk is always pretty decent in my experience. Cheap and 100% reliable. The only drawback is that recently it looks like they've been having stock problems - and their range isn't as great as Dabs. And as my parents live a few minutes train ride from the warehouse, I don't have to pay delivery fees.

5. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Scan are pretty reasonable and I've not had any problems with them in the past. You're lucky your parents live so close as the delivery charges are ridiculous. Having said that, dabs are nearly as bad with their delivery now.

6. Mustafa macrumors regular

If you're going to MacExpo, you can sometimes pick up special deals from the retailers' stands.

7. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

I would also reccommend scan.co.uk, and suggest microdirect.co.uk. I live somewhere between the two and it varies which offers the best price for certain things.

Also Maplin has had some great offers on external drives recently.

8. iGav macrumors G3

Amazon do the 320GB WD My Book USB 2.0 for 96 notes, which is no money. ;)

9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I use overclockers.co.uk, great site, fast and very reliable.

But id get yourself on scan, get an 'Icy Box' External Case (Can get Firewire or USB 1.1/2.0) and buy a IDE HDD. Cheapest way.

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Another vote for Overclockers.co.uk - Great prices, great service and reliable.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sorry if I'm a little late for the party. but as always the best place for this is http://froogle.co.uk. I bought a Toshiba (IIRC) 300gb HDD for a lovely £70 a couple of months ago. with next day delivery too.