Best place to buy Macs in Sydney Australia???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aswitcher, Jan 24, 2004.

1. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well on the eve (that should be morn) of the 20th Anniversary I am praying Apple Australia will do something about their prices. I've harped on about this before but I know I want to switch in the next two weeks and I suspect that Apple Australia will only review their prices IF a hardware revamp appears (as we all hope).

To harp on again, presently I calculate at $1 Aussie buying 76cents US that (at a straight exchange - no consideration for GST(10%) or shipping - which would indeed make part of this "markup") I am being charged the following amounts above what it would cost if I bought these in the US with this exchange rate:

iMacs are 35% above US
    - iMac 20" costs me $1004 Aussie more than in US (or $750 US more)

PowerMacs are 34% above US
    - PM G5 1.6 costs me $831 more
    - PM G5 1.8 Dual costs me $1379 more

PowerBooks are 41% above US
    - 12" PB with Super costs me $1031 more (thats 43.59%!)
    - 15" PB with super costs me $1379 more

Even if you knock of 10% for GST, we are still looking at 24%-33.5% which I assume they claim is shipping costs... eg 15" PB with super has a shiping cost of over a $1000 AUD (760 US) ?!
    I find that very hard to believe.

So given theres not much I can do about this and given the prices may not drop until new models come out (and I am waiting till after the Superbowl) I wanted to know what places people can recommend for good service and prices for Macs in Sydney. Any recommendations from experience???

2. Nemesis macrumors regular

Nemesis

They are scre*ing us, dude

... eg 15" PB with super has a shiping cost of over a $1000 AUD (760 US) ?!
    I find that very hard to believe.

Machines are being shipped from Singapore to USA, and to Australia. So, there are NO ADDITIONAL costs -- in fact, it costs them more to ship machines to USA.

In other words, they're scre*ing us big time, ripping us off, or just simply -- making idiots of all non-US customers.

To hell with them. I'm switching to Dell -- they have adjusted their prices according to exchange ratio and are actually favouring their customers. Nice move Dell boys!

So let us all sing:

Long live Michael Dell !!!
    Stupid Apple, go to Hell !!!

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Re: They are scre*ing us, dude

i agree on that ....
    but i don't wanna be stuck with a x86 for another 3-4 years after 2005 (when i buy new computers)
    i'll keep my current x86 thou

4. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: They are scre*ing us, dude

I heard that economies of scale meant US got cheaper Macs than Oz even with the shipping distance and that's why Oz is so much more expensive. What I don't understand is why the difference is so great that if Apple resellers were allowed to source wholesale from the USA they could probably drop the price by $500-$1000 for high end machines! Thats what sux in my mind, Apple Australias artificial inflation on the cost of Macs. I wonder if the new free trade agreement could shake this up...

5. aswitcher thread starter macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: Re: They are scre*ing us, dude

disregard this post :( my bad