Best place to buy RAM for MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JonnyMac, Mar 7, 2006.

1. JonnyMac macrumors member

Feb 11, 2006
    Hey guys,

Just took the plunge and ordered a 2ghz MacBook Pro from Amazon (hope it arrives before March 2007 as it says on my invoice!) and I was wondering what some options are to buy an extra 1GB stick. I've used Crucial before but the pricing for the 1GB stick is pushing $200. Is that what I should expect to pay or are there any reputable places (tried and tested) that are cheaper? Thanks for any input!
  2. iPhil macrumors 68040

Try here they're apple tested too

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hi and welcome.
    I bought my Ram for my Intel iMac Core Duo from here

Great service, prices and a guarantee that's very good. Cost me $240 for my 2GB Ram and had it shipped next day :D Good luck
  5. JonnyMac thread starter macrumors member

Feb 11, 2006
    Awesome guys. Thanks a lot! Definitely great prices there!
  6. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    OWC has great service and prices too.

They are local to me and I have bought a lot of stuff from them. Excellent pre- and post-sales support.
  7. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I second OWC, I have ordered ram from there and it always ships quick and works great.
  8. thebill macrumors member

Feb 20, 2006
    The Home of H.A.L., Urbana
    I vote for Other World Computing!

I've always had good experiences with OWC (Other World Computing), their store is at

I bought an upgrade Hard drive & Ram for my Ti Powerbook ...all good!

Here's the link to the MacBook Pro Ram section where I bought the $115 1 GB chip for my new 2.0 ... installed & all is 100%!!,+&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

They also have SuperFine Tech Support area with "How-to-install" videos. It's how I took my Ti PB apart with confidence. It was good!
  9. ckeck macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2005
    Crucial sells really good memory and I just ordered a 1GB stick for my soon to arrive MacBook Pro for $167.00. Not bad.
  10. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    Cancel your order.

Order with MacMall who is already shipping and get your ram upgrade on the spot and turn in the rebate to get it free. Their sites says 512 upgrade( I ordered on the phone), but I got 1 gig upgrade for the same price.
  11. iQuit macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    Boy from OWC.

<---Another satisfied customer of Other World Computing. Great prices, warranty, ship, and quality.
  12. emaja macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Lots of users have reported problems with the "free" RAM upgrades from places like MacMall. I am not saying that you will have problems, but Macs are picky about their RAM and so am I. I prefer to select the RAM I want rather than have it thrown in for free.
  13. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I have a place that is excellent, has great (!!!!) prices and friendly service. I am not going to tell you, though, because the while world will know and they will no longer be my friendly neighborhood Apple service provider/store.
  14. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I'm another fan of OWC. I've ordered many GB from them. Once had to return a chip, and it was replaced, no questions asked. Great prices, great service.
  15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    I'm a big fan of OWC (Other World Computing). They are at

They even let me exchange the 512 stick I ordered for a 1 GB stick, without much trouble. It was all me being a stupid idiot, but they still let me exchange, and I only lost the shipping.

The memory works great.

Crucial is great too, but they are too expensive right now.